Hi, meet a female climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTclimber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm new, I can still hold my own. I'm small, 5'6" and around 110 lbs, but I can carry/drag just about anything any of the guys I work with can, and I can climb pretty quickly because I weigh less. The biggest reason I could imagine that more women don't get into the tree industry is that most women don't like to be outside in the elements all the time. Personally I love being outside, it makes the day so much better. I am one of two females at my office in Springfield, and a third departed from our office last year to move closer to her boyfriend. I will admit that at first I was worried about being a woman in a mans world, but I think I'm doing fine....the guys I work with might have a different opinion, but who knows. I also know of a few other women from school (Virginia Tech) who may be interested in joining the tree care industry so let me know if any of you are thinking of diversifying your workplace!

Hope I can provide some insight!

Lauryn

Well right now I'm using a loaned Master 1, but I'm ordering all new stuff this week . I'm thinking of getting a Weaver Wideback floating D. I've used a bunch of different saddles and I'm definately keen on the wideback. What do you use?

Lauryn

lmao igetbisy you sound just like a rock climber.........

Funny you should link that post to mine....VTMechEng happens to be my fiance. So I'm sorry, igetbsy, I can't marry you, I'm already spoken for.

Lauryn

all right

Ok guys, no more pics of yourself to my fiance. I am the lucky one that found such a cool woman. :D

Welcome to AS. I had a girlfriend when I was in the army that went to VT. There are some pretty hard females that come from there. You wernt in the ROTC program were you? Oh and next time you guys sign on I will be sure to pass out bibs and napkins, Its gettin messy in here with all these guys droolin.

Kenn

Ya'lls mascot was a terapin right????

Hokies all the way

actually I was in the ROTC program...the Corps is great for some people, but definately not for everyone. I loved it though. Great times. And our mascot is a Hokie Bird (its basically a big maroon and orange turkey). The terrapin is Maryland's mascot.

Re: all right

Originally posted by VTMechEng
Ok guys, no more pics of yourself to my fiance. I am the lucky one that found such a cool woman. :D

lol right on man, I'm happy for you, it's gonna be a little rough for all of the guys to hold back at first, but i'm sure you can rest assured that it's all in fun, and she's all yours, all in all, we're a bunch of pretty respectable fellas, a bunch of fellas, did i say a bunch of fellas!!:D it's great to see a little change in that, just remember what sort of freedom a person has on the net from around the world, it's hard to resist the urge to say things we would not dare say face to face to someone, but we do respect you and your feelings for your loved ones. please remember that..

Welcome VT,

Glad to have you on board, if you work with a crew of guys I'm sure you can hold your own on this site.

I've worked with women on a few occasions, women are willing to listen and try do the work right. Guys on the other hand tend to get argumentive and bull headed on how to do things.

It will be nice to hear the female perspective on the disscussions that go on here.

Larry

Howdy and welcome. Bout time we got a female climber here.

I use the Ness work saddle, and love it (as do some others here). It has a fixed TIP, but none the less I like it. I climb DdRT and SRT, and it suits me fine, and is comfortable enough to work in all day.

I am in the running for an Army ROTC scholarship now.

This is from one of the first times I was up in a tree....awesome professor of mine at VT taught us how to climb as part of our urban forestry class. Great experience. Nothing too exciting to look at, but it was pretty darn cool to us.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back