Hi ranger 5fc-55 upper controls not working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Wilson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm having trouble with my upper controls not working. When I change my selector valve to upper controls, my lower controls still operate the boom. Nothing happening when I pull the dead man' switch. I put in a temporary 1/8" line from pistol grip to the pressure switch and still nothing.....any iddas???

Hello, I'm having trouble with my upper controls not working. When I change my selector valve to upper controls, my lower controls still operate the boom. Nothing happening when I pull the dead man' switch. I put in a temporary 1/8" line from pistol grip to the pressure switch and still nothing.....any iddas???
Did you push palm button and try it at the uppers ?

Hi, I'm back in town and the answer to your questio n is yes. The upper controls do work when the palm button is pushed in
Then your air line 1/8 line at the pistol grip travels down the boom to a micro switch! I have seen the micro switch getting corroded needing a slight adjustment or the air line failed if you take the air line loose at the pistol grip and take a cap full of any oil including bar oil the diaphragm where the air line plugs into work the trigger while submerging the nipple on the diaphragm in oil sometimes they get dry!

I'm betting micro switch is corroded its at the lower turret you will see the air line going to it there is an access panel on it you might have to take it off to access it! it will have an adjustment screw but they are touchy and you need to make sure its on when you pull trigger off when you release and clean up and corrosion with contact cleaner!

Ok thanks will try that...I tried switching the 1/8 line with new line that I got from a shop that works on them but that didn' work. I know the switches you are talking about. There are two. I will try cleaning the contacts and adjusting. Is it possible it is in the trigger on the pistol grip. Seems like I can hear a shoot of air when I pull it but can' remember if it was doing that before.

Ok thanks will try that...I tried switching the 1/8 line with new line that I got from a shop that works on them but that didn' work. I know the switches you are talking about. There are two. I will try cleaning the contacts and adjusting. Is it possible it is in the trigger on the pistol grip. Seems like I can hear a shoot of air when I pull it but can' remember if it was doing that before.
Yes the diaphragm i mentioned oiling ! it is where the airline connects. I used bar oil lol put in the cap and pump trigger with the nipple where the air line connects submerged in the oil it will siphon up its fixed mine before! I suppose the best fix would be new diaphragm but I'm cheap and oiling 1 or 2 times a year seemed better :p

Hahaha..I'm with you on that. I' gonna try it in morning. Moved on to tranny in my Tahoe today. 4wd it was a you know what to get out

I realize this is an old thread; however, I didn't use the search function prior to posting my own thread, can anyone indicate what the part number is for the diaphragm? I'm unable to find it online.

Back