hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayard

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i am making a few coffee tables . i started the first coat of satin poly. do i sand every coat.or do few layers and then sand ?

Before applying something like poly sand then wet to raise fibers and sand again, perhaps a few times. I learned that years ago in IA in high school. Not sure the answer to your specific question even though I did something similar last year, read on the can most likely says something.

i am making a few coffee tables . i started the first coat of satin poly. do i sand every coat.or do few layers and then sand ?
Are you staining this first or no? If you are staining first poly twice before sanding so you don't sand through and remove stain , other wise I like to do at least a light sand between each coat.

I sand between each coat, but also depends on how rough it feels between each coat. If you want to get fancy, look up "leveling" a finish (you sand with a block after 5 or so coats to level out any runs or high spots)

I hardly ever sand between coats. Once you get a couple coats on and have sanded it then throw the sand paper away.
Use steel wool changeing grits till you get to the finest. Make sure to use a tack cloth after steel wooling to get all the dust up.
Don't cheap out use a new tack cloth each time. You can use the used tack cloth on the sanding clean up.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back