High Limb Rope Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. So how about something constructive or informative.

Hear is something constructive for you, just for you Smokey. Now pay attention cause this will get very technical.
If you have a clear landing zone below the limb, take a shot line (hope you know what that is, if not, read up) and throw it over the limb. Pay attention now it gets real complicated, pull a rope over the limb using the shot line. You will need to attach the two lines together first. Tie a running bow knot, well just tie a slip knot if you can. Tighten the rope up and break off the limb. Pick up the limb, remove it from the job and go home. Oh yea, almost forgot, tell the customer you removed the dead limb, get paid, then go home. If you can not drop the limb in a safe clear landing zone just say "I can't do it" then go home. I'd try to explain how to set up running line but I dought you would ever be able to retrieve it from a tree. I just don't have that kind of time to explain it. Hope this was not to technical. Good Luck with those dead limbs.

You asked for it so it had to be done.

ROFL

Has anyone used one of these. Seems like it could be very helpful for hard to reach or dangerous to reach limbs and dead wood. The 24 inch version could easily be carried in a ditty back and used with your throw line.

View attachment 253322

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/15016_lg.jpg

Professional High Limb Rope Chain Saw — 48in., Model# CS-48 | Rope Chain Saws| Northern Tool + Equipment

Not so sure about hard to reach limbs and deadwood, but I can think of a few people I wouldn't mind using that thing on. It seems like it would have a duality of purpose.. you could both strangle, and decapitate, all at the same time!! Lol.. just trying to find some use for the thing here, is all.. :msp_laugh:

Last edited:
Hear is something constructive for you, just for you Smokey. Now pay attention cause this will get very technical.
If you have a clear landing zone below the limb, take a shot line (hope you know what that is, if not, read up) and throw it over the limb. Pay attention now it gets real complicated, pull a rope over the limb using the shot line. You will need to attach the two lines together first. Tie a running bow knot, well just tie a slip knot if you can. Tighten the rope up and break off the limb. Pick up the limb, remove it from the job and go home. Oh yea, almost forgot, tell the customer you removed the dead limb, get paid, then go home. If you can not drop the limb in a safe clear landing zone just say "I can't do it" then go home. I'd try to explain how to set up running line but I dought you would ever be able to retrieve it from a tree. I just don't have that kind of time to explain it. Hope this was not to technical. Good Luck with those dead limbs.

ROFL

Thanks for the input. It is actually called a Running Bowline not a "bow knot" and I actually prefer the Alpine Butterfly because it is faster to tie and easy to release after being loaded.

Thanks for the input. It is actually called a Running Bowline not a "bow knot" and I actually prefer the Alpine Butterfly because it is faster to tie and easy to release after being loaded.

There is no better knot then the bowline , maybe you have head butterflies

… Pay attention now it gets real complicated, pull a rope over the limb using the shot line. You will need to attach the two lines together first. Tie a running bow knot, well just tie a slip knot if you can. Tighten the rope up and break off the limb. Pick up the limb, remove it from the job and go home. Oh yea, almost forgot, tell the customer you removed the dead limb, get paid, then go home. If you can not drop the limb in a safe clear landing zone just say "I can't do it" then go home. I'd try to explain how to set up running line but I dought you would ever be able to retrieve it from a tree. I just don't have that kind of time to explain it. Hope this was not to technical. Good Luck with those dead limbs.

ROFL

Here is another thought for you. Just pass your line over the branch and anchor the line to the base of the tree, step away from the tree about 10 feet and pass this end of the line thru a foot ascender and then using your more powerful and macho leg muscles step down. You have effectively doubled the pull down force and even better, when the branch breaks you don't fall back on your ass causing damage to that precious ego. This may be a better solution to your "bow" knot or even the running Alpine Butterfly, although I do favor this knot as you can easily recover your line in case the customer comes out and asks that you do not just rip the branch out of the tree.

ROFL
By the way, if you are going to make condescending remarks, use correct technical terms and english so as to not have the reverse and non intended effect.
Here not hear as with your ears.
Bowline not bow knot.
Doubt not dought
Too (as in the adverb) not to (as in the preposition)
and thank you for your concern, but no, I did not find your comments TOO technical. # But I did find them pretty macho, I like how you just rip branches out of trees, very cool.

Last edited:
Awesome i bet you're excited, now you need to order the firewood grippers like the ones in the thread just posted so you can carry the wood you cut off. :blob2:

. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is long forgotten. (You get what you pay for)
Thanks for the explanation in your signature "(You get what you pay for )"
I think it otherwise may have confused some here.

OK, how about not posting stupid crap in this forum.?
Jeff

Do you listen to a radio station you don't like and then whine about the songs they play or listen to a talks show station and snivel about the opinions expressed. It is a free county even on the left coast. Suggestion, if you disagree, express it, if you want to make a point, make it, but for your own good, don't waste your time and others with things you don't care about. This is common sense but as we know THAT is not so common.

Latest posts

Back