High Limb Rope Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the wire saw for training young trees with tight crotches, does very little to no collateral damage. Chain one could work well in similar situation especially when a plunge cut with a chainsaw or using a handsaw could cause more collateral damage.
Anyone try it?

How can a hand saw cause more collateral damage? This makes no sense. Saw chain on a rope is a bs tool marketed to the masses as a miracle tool that will change your life! As a survival tool, go for it. My guess, is this tool will one day get pulled from the market as a result of numerous lawsuits due to injury or death by homeowners dropping limbs on themselves.

I cant believe this thread is still going. Smoky before you start a thread about knots, use the search function. There is already multiple threads on knots.

I cant believe this thread is still going. Smoky before you start a thread about knots, use the search function. There is already multiple threads on knots.

Good suggestion and you know I have been there......I started in boy scouts you know and passed off all the knots required for Eagle.
I was just hoping to draw on the VAST experiences of this forum but I'm getting the impression that is pretty much limited to the bowline and the bowline on a bite and that bites. :msp_tongue:

I like the wire saw for training young trees with tight crotches, does very little to no collateral damage. Chain one could work well in similar situation especially when a plunge cut with a chainsaw or using a handsaw could cause more collateral damage.
Anyone try it?

That makes complete sense!
I can see that or when the tree has lots of branches close together you can probably get in there with the wire saw when you can't easily do it with a pruning saw. Supporting the branch while the cut is made to keep the wire from binding and the branch from tearing. But as you read from previous posts, the chain idea for this is very problematic and probably not suited for those that have access to the upper canopy of a tree. For how cheap they are and easy to store, it would make sense to have one. Plus, when I get lost in the woods, I can use it for survival mode.

Smokey,

I hope your not As'g while flying. Thats all we need. First it was pilots drinking and flying drunk, now there texting and surfing Arborsite.

Smokey,

I hope your not As'g while flying. Thats all we need. First it was pilots drinking and flying drunk, now there texting and surfing Arborsite.

Ok 2treeornot2tree, I like humor as much as the next guy but flying is one of those high stress jobs like climbing trees. The incidents of pilots flying intoxicated is extremely extremely, did I say extremely, small. In my 34 years I have never seen a fellow pilot try to go to work while intoxicated. And I know what intoxicated looks like as I was a police officer for LAPD for 5 years and made many arrests.
Tree climbers/arborist can be subject to alcohol abuse because of the stress involved. So as a "newbie" let me give YOU a piece of advice. Don't joke about alcohol use or abuse in any form, driving, flying or climbing. Sorry, but my sense of humor stops there, too many people get hurt or killed from this.

Ok 2treeornot2tree, I like humor as much as the next guy but flying is one of those high stress jobs like climbing trees. The incidents of pilots flying intoxicated is extremely extremely, did I say extremely, small. In my 34 years I have never seen a fellow pilot try to go to work while intoxicated. And I know what intoxicated looks like as I was a police officer for LAPD for 5 years and made many arrests.
Tree climbers/arborist can be subject to alcohol abuse because of the stress involved. So as a "newbie" let me give YOU a piece of advice. Don't joke about alcohol use or abuse in any form, driving, flying or climbing. Sorry, but my sense of humor stops there, too many people get hurt or killed from this.

Sounds like that hit a sore spot. Not talking about it and wishing it didnt happen isnt gonna make it go away.

Sounds like that hit a sore spot. Not talking about it and wishing it didnt happen isnt gonna make it go away.

I'm not saying "talking and wishing it didn't happen", I'm talking joking about it. Taking it lightly, condoning it, passing it off as a laughing thing. Yes, it is a sore spot, I've seen lots of dead people because of it, innocent people, people that should still be here. There are people in every vocation that abuse this, but high stress jobs like what arborist do (and pilots) are more susceptible and WE all need to take it seriously. I will bet that there will be guys reading this that know another arborist that has an issue and if they joke about it, they will never deal with it. Sorry, but you used it in the context of a joke and I'm not letting that slide.

I never said it was a laughable thing. I was making a comment about how you are a pilot, but always seem to be posting on here. Most pilots i have known over the years dont have much of a life other then flying, because the airlines keep them pretty busy.

I never said it was a laughable thing. I was......

I apologize, I just thought I sensed a little sarcastic humor there, I am glad you take it seriously. Again, sorry.

Now if you excuse me, I have my Poison Ivy anchored to a white oak with an Alpine Butterfly and I need the exercise and stress management after all these postings.

I apologize, I just thought I sensed a little sarcastic humor there, I am glad you take it seriously. Again, sorry.

Now if you excuse me, I have my Poison Ivy anchored to a white oak with an Alpine Butterfly and I need the exercise and stress management after all these postings.

Pics or it didnt happen

That makes complete sense!
I can see that or when the tree has lots of branches close together you can probably get in there with the wire saw when you can't easily do it with a pruning saw. Supporting the branch while the cut is made to keep the wire from binding and the branch from tearing. But as you read from previous posts, the chain idea for this is very problematic and probably not suited for those that have access to the upper canopy of a tree. For how cheap they are and easy to store, it would make sense to have one. Plus, when I get lost in the woods, I can use it for survival mode.

No, it does not make complete sense. It makes no sense at all. You might be better off posting in Recreational Tree Climbing. You can talk about knots and toys you bought and what type of lawn chair you prefer to nail into a tree.

How can a hand saw cause more collateral damage? This makes no sense. Saw chain on a rope is a bs tool marketed to the masses as a miracle tool that will change your life! As a survival tool, go for it. My guess, is this tool will one day get pulled from the market as a result of numerous lawsuits due to injury or death by homeowners dropping limbs on themselves.

Training young trees>3 limbs tightly appressed and the one in the middle is pruned out.
You can do it easily with a wire saw and not damage the neighbouring limbs. Chain on rope never used one and probabley never will but if there is a chance to use in an emergency and keep out of harms way and not damage my $1000 pwr tele saw or 300 manual pole saw it would be most welcome addition to the team.
Vehicles, chainsaws, ladders, alcohol etc etc are they being pulled due to operator error?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back