highly recommended dump bed trailers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a 6x10 Sure Trac deck over dump very happy with it. Got it from dealer east of Republic on 18.

I have had a BriMar 7x12 lo profile with landscape tailgate for 11 yrs. It is OK but it has NEVER been overloaded and the axle mt busted one day with a load of topsoil on it. Dumped the load and used a ratchet strap to get it home. Took it to a fab place for repair and they said worst design out there. My trailer has never seen salt and it is all rusted. Also with a lo profile your load gets spread out too far. Either go with a deck over or a scissor lift.

Yes I like the PJ's they are about 300 lbs more than same size BriMar but have a scissor lift I think.IMO I think I would take a brand new one and have the exterior under side rhino sprayed. My next trailer I am having built by a custom place near me. Galvanized ---$1500 more but worth it. And it will be a 6x12 10k rated for registration purpose but with 12k axles in case I overload some day. Also I forget which type of dual axle system the guy says it should have to prevent what happened before to mine.

I have an N&N dump trailer. 6x12 - 10k GVW for registration purposes. They make a 7x14 14k version though.

Fully galvanized with front mounted 3 stage telescopic cylinder. Made in Montreal and sold throughout Canada and the northern US. I love it - no issues at all.

I've used dump trailers in the past with single stage dual cylinders and they could not dump heavy loads (stone/gravel) because cylinders are aligned horizontally during first part of lift. When the most amount of force is needed, the cylinders are at the greatest mechanical disadvantage.

12 k axels?? Wow.
I mean twin 6k axles. Plus the one I want has power down and gravity down. Topsoil,mulch & firewood is basically what I haul. Will have pocket for 2x when I need taller sides for mulch or just throwing wood in without stacking.

I have an N&N dump trailer. 6x12 - 10k GVW for registration purposes. They make a 7x14 14k version though.

Fully galvanized with front mounted 3 stage telescopic cylinder. Made in Montreal and sold throughout Canada and the northern US. I love it - no issues at all.

I've used dump trailers in the past with single stage dual cylinders and they could not dump heavy loads (stone/gravel) because cylinders are aligned horizontally during first part of lift. When the most amount of force is needed, the cylinders are at the greatest mechanical disadvantage.
I heard with a dump trailer frame that twin cylinder is the worst since if not evenly loaded one side may go up a tad faster and twist the body.

Hopefully if I think about it will post which axle system was better. I know with about 1.5 cord of wood going around a corner the axles do tweak a little.

Not sure there is a benefit compared to the scissor style but telescopic is what most all the big semi trailers use. Mechanically simple and effective.

Thank you for your reply! Looking at pj brand dumps.

I personally won't buy another PJ trailer. I had a 2012 that I bought in 2017. It was so rusty by the end of '18 I could hardly sell it. Powder coat was coming off in sheets the size of washcloths. Painted trailers from now on for me. Ymmv.

So what's a great dump bed trailer mfg? With good paint? Bwise???

I really don't know. I've heard good things about Lamar, but I really haven't researched the subject much. I usually buy used stuff, so I kinda check out what's available at the time I start looking.

I have a Lamar trailer with scissor hoist and really like it. Haven’t had it long enough to know how the powder coat will hold up. I ended up with a Lamar because of the I Beam frame and thicker floor than any others I looked into. I hauled some gravel with it and ended up with a little over 11,000 pounds it’s rated for 10k it dumped no problem.

I have a 2013 Maxum trailer . Basically a Cam trailer does everything I've asked it to . I have overloaded it with wood as it would not lift . Had to pull some off with the tractor. It rated 10 k and have had about 12k of gravel in it and it dumped fine. The paint is starting to deteriorate but when you dump gravel in and throw wood it's going to crack and chip. A even after I abuse it I've never had to do anything other than a battery and tires20191026_084947.jpg 20161220_150101.jpg

There is a galvanizing plant just a few miles down the road from me that sand blast and hot dip all sorts of metal. I have been meaning to call and find out what it would cost to have a trailer sand blasted and hot dipped. I like the scissor lift type though all the big rigs use a single telescoping cylinder.
Here is a video showing the three types.

So, having watched the video of three same brand trailers, it is still a vague choice between the scissors and the single three stage lift.
What are peoples thoughts?
Is an off center load going to be a problem with the three stage set-up, or not that big a deal? Does one raise higher than the other? Is one more apt or likely damaged? Straight front box vs tilted top lip?

I also looked at Bri Mar/B Wise on line. Bri Mar being the basic model and B Wise loaded up with hydraulics, jack and multi function tailgate, to 15k -19k on-line ads depending on length. They say prep and paint is the same for both lines, with the exception of a two tone choices on the B Wise line.

Back