hiring question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm asking this question to all you company owners: Would you hire a climber if he had one eye? How would you feel as the boss if you found out your climber had only one eye and didn't tell you? I'm posting this cuz i got basically one functional eye...retinal detachment 5 yrs ago...its somewhat functional but has no lens in it right now and no peripheral...basically i concentrate my focus out of my good eye...its not obvious when looking at me... it just gets sleepy looking when i'm tired...or i get accused of being stoned....but i'm a competent climber considering how long ive been doing it... i take my time, constantly swivelling my head around, drive cautiously get second opinions regarding obstacle clearance etc....just wondering...my current boss (one of them) i told just recently and based on my performance is alright with it... maybe doesn't want me driving the truck in downtown traffic so much but that's fine with me..

I'm fine with it. I had a guy with one eye help me on the ground for a year or so. Old Bag worm was fine help. He had done some bucket work, and the depth perception thing had knocked wires down, but he was fine. He was a good driver, too. And that's a good point because I read somewhere that most arboriculture injuries are vehicular en route to and from the job.

When I was at the Airborne Centre we had an 16 year old Army Cadet by the name of Rosen from Sask show up for a Cadet serial basic para course. Medically met the std according to his doc, but on about day 9 of the ground phase the instructors figured out his vision was obviously not the minimum reqr, not surprising considering he had a glass eye from the age of 10 after a farm accident. He was sent home, medically RTU'd, as he did not meet the military's standard for vision for that course. His lawyer took it to the Supreme Court, and about three years later we had to let him back on the course, he had convinced the judges that he had learned to compensate for having only one eye. You obviously are not allowed to discriminate in Canada against people with a condition such as yours, though that was not always the case in the past. My Grandfather could not get a driver's license in the 1930s/40s because he too had a glass eye, but there was no problem driving a tractor or horses on the road, in those days that did not reqr a license. Any employer that singles you out for your vision loss is trading on shaky legal ground.

thanks guys...just asking cuz i might be applying to another company... and i just wonder if i should mention it b4 or after starting work, and how as a boss you'd feel bout it...

Back