History of Bow Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I need to add this saw to the thread.

A Poulan Super 72 will pull a bow with authority....

attachment.php

Got one at that. :laugh:

Here is the first run on it, still a bit rich and working a piece of wood a bit too big for the bow.

There is a better video of it in the Ohio GTG thread if you can look it up.

While were at it, here is a video of the direct drive 71-A working a bow.

Last edited:
OK, this will expose how little I know about Bow Saws: can they be used (effectively) for falling?

Philbert

No... (at least not in my hands). You do not cut with the bottom of the bow, rather with the front. The "foot" is used as a guide against the log to prevent kickback.

just my personal experience

OK, this will expose how little I know about Bow Saws: can they be used (effectively) for falling?

I've used a bow on a Homelite saw, then a Stihl 036, then an MS460 as my primary saw for decades. I heat with wood, and used to sell firewood before gas logs became so popular, and do tree removal (only part-time, by referral.) There are at least a hundred former trees that think a bow works just fine for felling. The only limitation is tree diameter; above maybe 20", maybe 24", it's easier with a straight blade.

I also find a bow easier to use cutting brush and small stuff when clearing an area around a tree before felling it.

I normally don't cut green trees for firewood, unless someone wants them removed.

Welcome to A.S. Steven!

Philbert

Thanks very much. I was actually just noodling around to see if I could find a bow for my Stihl MS660, and bumped into this site. It's very interesting and seems very collegial.

Is it legal to ask here if there's anyone who might have a bow made for a Stihl to sell me? If not, might anyone be able to put me in touch with someone who could sell me one?

Thanks,
Steven

Last edited:
Welcome to A.S. Steven!

Philbert

Thanks very much. I was actually just noodling around to see if I could find a bow for my Stihl MS660, and bumped into this site. It's very interesting and seems very collegial.

Is it legal to ask here if there's anyone who might have a bow made for a Stihl to sell me? If not, might anyone be able to put me in touch with someone who could sell me one?

Thanks,
Steven

You could try this place. Chain Bar Repairing: Products & Services

Or check here, There are no Stihl bars right now but they do come up for sale here.

chainsaw bow | eBay

Welcome to A.S. Steven!

Philbert

Thanks,
Steven

Don't know where you are in VA, but there has been one advertised before in Farmville before on CL. I think I may have one for one of my 056's.

thanks!

You could try this place: Chain Bar Repairing: Products & Services

Or check here: There are no Stihl bars right now but they do come up for sale here.

Appreciate the suggestions. Have checked eBay occasionally, just missed one last week. Darn.
I wrote to the chain bar repairing place. They look like a good company. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

I got this 640 last month, I did not have time to get out of the box until now.
This saw runs so I don't have to do anything to it. :D

Here is another SXL 925 I got. It needed a carb, a air filter and cover. I put in new fuel lines and filter.
It runs good now.

Back