History of Bow Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I need to add this saw to the thread.

A Poulan Super 72 will pull a bow with authority....

attachment.php
Just putting a photo back in. 100_2738 (Custom).JPG

I got this 640 last month, I did not have time to get out of the box until now.
This saw runs so I don't have to do anything to it. :D

Here is another SXL 925 I got. It needed a carb, a air filter and cover. I put in new fuel lines and filter.
It runs good now.

I really like that 640. I need to get at least one bow saw for my collection. It's amazing how many of those you have and seem to keep finding them. I wish I was out on the west coast I'd probably have a lot better luck than here in Va. Funny thing is this guy in Colorado keeps telling me I am in a great spot to find bow saws from all the pulp wood cutting around the area. I never a seen a bow saw at all anywhere. I think my back would like them a lot too. I have had 3 back surgeries but I can still work a saw for now. Anyway another nice saw Cliff.

Nick

Sent from my S10 using Tapatalk

I really like that 640. I need to get at least one bow saw for my collection. It's amazing how many of those you have and seem to keep finding them. I wish I was out on the west coast I'd probably have a lot better luck than here in Va. Funny thing is this guy in Colorado keeps telling me I am in a great spot to find bow saws from all the pulp wood cutting around the area. I never a seen a bow saw at all anywhere. I think my back would like them a lot too. I have had 3 back surgeries but I can still work a saw for now. Anyway another nice saw Cliff.

Nick

Sent from my S10 using Tapatalk

Thanks Nick,
None of the Bow bars I have came from here in California , I got a few from a collector in Washington and most of the rest came from states around you and the south.

Cliff

Nick,

Bow saws are all around, there are currently 2 041 Stihls with bows on the Richmond CL. Probably not many up your way, but venture south and southeast of Richmond where the pine pulp used to be and there are some there.

Gary

Maybe I need to look a little harder. I don't or should I say can't work anymore so have all the time in the world to look for saws. I been looking here and there but so far I haven't run across any. So far most of my saws I got come from out west. I don't find any around my area like what I am looking for. Maybe sooner or later my luck will change I'll keep searching. I can't buy but so many though my other half will kill me. When I collected jars and had over 800 in the collection she thought I was nutso but they paid the bills when I lost my job and kept Me going for nearly three years so... At least I'm not sitting in a bar drinking it all away. I can get it back this way if I need to...

I need to get at least one bow saw for my collection. It's amazing how many of those you have and seem to keep finding them. I wish I was out on the west coast I'd probably have a lot better luck than here in Va. Funny thing is this guy in Colorado keeps telling me I am in a great spot to find bow saws from all the pulp wood cutting around the area. I never a seen a bow saw at all anywhere.

Your guy in Colorado is correct. The Southeast is the spiritual home of the bow saw. There are a lot of them down here in sheds and barns, but people tend to hold onto them. You might want to add craigslist to your search. If you don't see any for sale there, you can at least put out a wanted ad and maybe one will come to you.

In fact, I just did a search for "chainsaw bow" in the Richmond VA craigslist and came up with two returns - one Poulan, one Homelite.

In fact, I just did a search for "chainsaw bow" in the Richmond VA craigslist and came up with two returns - one Poulan, one Homelite.

There actually are 4, the 2 Stihl 041's I mentioned, the XL you mentioned (way overpriced @ $250) and a Homelite Super Wiz 77. The fellow with the Poulan bow has had it listed for several months with no takers.

hay yall im new here =) but im trying to identify the model of a Homelite its all blue and it has a bow-bar.... the only number I can find on it is P462936 ?

Does anyone have a IPL or manual that would help me with a Poulan F-100 Bow?

ODW

I have a Husqvarna bow on a saw that my mechanic told me is unsalvageable at this point. And I also have another non-running woodsboss stihl with a bow blade. I have access to a machine shop.

my question is this, is it possible to buy a new husq or stihl and put one of my bow's on it? (obv the cover could be machined) would the oiler's work or be in the wrong place?

if not, what is the newest used bow that I could get my hands on (either stihl or husq)?

Latest posts

Back