history of chainsaw bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There still is a bar in here,

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3465.jpg

I used to haul paper out of a lots of different paper mills and the south-southeast states was the only place I ever actually seen a Bow saw, to me they looked very dangerous and I always wondered why they used them but never actually got around to asking anyone about them. I have never seen one here in Wisconsin .

This post is like a drunken text to an ex-girlfriend in the middle of the night :surprised3: :drinking::lol:

You forgot about the bow style bars, I've always wondered what the utility of those things was versus a regular bar.

This post is like a drunken text to an ex-girlfriend in the middle of the night :surprised3: :drinking::lol:

You forgot about the bow style bars, I've always wondered what the utility of those things was versus a regular bar.
I believe their niche was in bucking up deadfalls. , the bows bottom rail prevented incidental contact with debris or ground . Other than that a cumbersome design for sure .

That’s a cool bar in Skagway Alaska. Lots of Gold Rush history there. Nice place to visit in April with the sun shining through that big picture window.
That whole town retains a lot of the rush/stampede history, only got to spend one night and day there, visited every shop, store and business that had an open door.

How To Determine Chainsaw Bar Length

You might think that deciding how long a blade you should look for when you purchase a chainsaw is a straightforward process. After all, bigger is always better right? That may be true for some things, but it’s not right for everything. There are a lot of factors you have to consider when buying a chainsaw, and you need to understand what you’re going to be using the chainsaw for before you can decide how long a blade you need. It’s always a good idea to take a step back and look at the whole picture before making any major purchase, and the same applies when it comes to purchasing a chainsaw.
Hopefully, this will help you make a better decision when it comes to choosing the right chainsaw blade.
12 to 14 Inches
For one thing, it’s essential to remember that the length of the sharp edge bar you use ought to have a ton to do with the bit of wood you’re cutting. By and large, you’ll need to ensure that you have an edge bar that is at any rate 2 inches longer than the bit of wood you’re cutting. You can cut a more significant part of the wood, however, it gets ungainly, and it expands the potential for damage. For the average homeowner merely using their chainsaw for pruning bushes and small tree branch limbs, a 12 to the 14-inch blade is probably more than sufficient.
14 to 18 Inches
If you have a yard with a couple of developing trees, you might need to consider a somewhat longer edge bar. A sharp edge bar length of between 14 to 18 inches should work well for you as a rule. You can cut some genuinely thick branches with that length of cutting edge bar. It’s as yet not long enough to deal with probably the most demanding occupations. However, it’s optimal for home use. Remember, however, the more extended the cutting edge bar length you pick, the more troublesome and cumbersome the machine will be to move. At the point when you gain in one zone, you quit any trace of something consequently.
18 to 22 Inches
On the off chance that you live on a property with a couple of a higher number of trees than usual and you need to manage some bigger branches, it may be an excellent opportunity to take a gander at an edge bar length of somewhere in the range of 18 and 22 inches. This length of the bar is a marginal expert area – it, despite everything, might be the correct answer for individual property holders, however. If you possess a little tree cutting business, it could be perfect too. This length of the bar will effortlessly slice through pretty much any branch you’ll discover in a residential setting. As we’ve just referenced, the more extended that cutting edge gets, the more massive the machine will be, and that can make it considerably harder to work. On the off chance that you have specific physical confinements, this may not be the best decision for you.
22 to 36 Inches
When you move beyond a 22-inch sharp edge bar, you’re authoritatively in hardcore an area. Chainsaws with tapered edge bars that are somewhere in the range of 2 and 3 feet are commonly intended to be utilized in an expert setting. This is the sort of cutting apparatus that a logger would use each day at work. On the off chance that you’ve at any point watched one of those TV programs in which proficient loggers are contending with one another to see who can slice through a large log the snappiest, odds are they were utilizing a chainsaw with a sharp edge length that fits solidly right now.

Back