HL-166B welch plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys im workin on rebuilding the 08s's carb, ive checked the check valve and it seals properly
do i have any real reason to remove and replace the welch plug if it still appears new and is still sealed

also...what is under it and or does that need replacing. as far as i know only the idle and intermediate jet openings are under there.. and the needle when its screwed in there

I personally do not mess with the welch plugs in any carb unless all other avenues to make it run right have been exhausted.
They just cover over the jets into the venturi. I spray carb clean in through the holes where the needles go and watch for it to come out the jets.

pretty much what i was looking for, thank you sir, i was considering it, because before i started the restoration on this 08s, it would start and idle, but would not rev very high before leaning out and bogging
, but i found a huge plug of powdered wood inside the fuel filter LOL.. now i know why it would idle but not rev LOL,, it actually looks like some rebuilt this carb recent;y but forgot to check the fuel filter pickup im considering going to a felt style stihl filter instead of the old hollow screen types that came on these old saws, they are much better at filtering fuel.
but im torn between keeping it all original and putting something better in it, although these 08 series im rebuilding will probably be more shelf queens, im considering never even starting any of them.

Back