Hole in tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timndeb

Reaction score
Below are a couple of photos of a small hole in my Chinese Pistache tree. Is it a insect borer hole? If so, what is the best way to treat it? I was thinking of using a systemic insecticide, but I don't think I could use it effectively until Spring. Any other ideas or is this my best option?

Hole in tree 1.jpgHole in tree 3.jpg

Attachments

• Hole in tree 2.jpg
    Hole in tree 2.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 8
First glance opinion is it looks like a woodpecker hole or other bird hole. Would help to know more information such as geographic location.

Woodpeckers and other insect-hunting birds around here will have fruit\nut\ornamental trees holed out from stump to top, and only occasionally does it seem to impact them heavily.

If the hole(s) were smaller, I'd say possibility of being a parasitic wasp.

Give us some scale. A ruler is idea...but even a pencil for finger will help.

My first guess was woodpecker like @HumBurner said...but it is pretty distinctly D-shaped which suggests perhaps a flat-headed beetle like an Agrilus or perhaps it isn't quite a true "D" and more of an oval as left by Flat Headed Apple Borer.

Below are a couple of photos of a small hole in my Chinese Pistache tree. Is it a insect borer hole? If so, what is the best way to treat it? I was thinking of using a systemic insecticide, but I don't think I could use it effectively until Spring. Any other ideas or is this my best option?

View attachment 887580View attachment 887582
It is possible, However I also think its Woodpecker. If your able, do a safari basil drench soil soil drench with Imidacloprid if you want to cover your bases.

It is possible, However I also think its Woodpecker. If your able, do a safari basil drench soil soil drench with Imidacloprid if you want to cover your bases.
Reading Safari contains dinotefuran, is that preferred instead of Imidacloprid? Thanks.

https://www.cdms.net/ldat/ldAC2000.pdf

Unless I've quoted the wrong product, completely willing to stand corrected, just looking to learn. Thanks much.

Reading Safari contains dinotefuran, is that preferred instead of Imidacloprid? Thanks.

https://www.cdms.net/ldat/ldAC2000.pdf

Unless I've quoted the wrong product, completely willing to stand corrected, just looking to learn. Thanks much.
What are you targetting?

imidacloprid does great on beetles, but it is not good on armored scale or Lepidoptera. dinotefuran acts a little quicker, but unless that speed is needed, I'd used imidacloprid for cost saving.

Back