Holfforma 070

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought one of these a little while back.

I'm a professional tree guy, but I didn't have a big stump flusher in my personal arsenal and the Holzfforma saws are cheap and suprisingly awesome. I had a massive willow to remove at my own house and my 440 wasn't nearly big enough, but I'm already way off topic.

So this thing is a clone of the long-gone Stihl 070. Holzfforma makes a 36" bar for it, but that's it. I want to go up to 50" or so but I checked all the aftermarket sites I can think of, as well as ebay, and I'm coming up empty handed.
I need some serious hand holding.
Can someone point me in the right direction, or even post a link? I would really appreciate it

Anyone wondering, the saw is great. Lots of power and it flushed that willow no problem. Although it took some finesse; trunk was 5 feet in diameter.
Only complaint is that it weighs about 40 pounds.

About the only easy to find new long bars in that pattern are Cannon brand, they will cost more than that saw. Stihl has a 48” ish bar, and supposedly a 60” bar, if the dealer can get them, again more expensive than the 070 clones. The 48” bars are the easiest to get. Any of these bars might need some modifications to working correctly on the knockoff saws.

There are a lot of 48” to 72” used bars out there if you can modify the tail stock to fit the 070 clone mount. Make sure to get a sprocket tip bar if that is what you are after, way more hard tip bars available than sprocket tips.

Place an ad for a used 48”-72” bar where ever you can, there are quite a few barely used ones out there.

Ebay is not the place for long bars these days, Craigslist type sites seem to be a better source.

Whatever bar you buy needs to be .063 gauge if you want to use .404 pitch, there is no .050 in .404 and extremely little .058. If you decide to swap the 070 over to 3/8, you will need to run a 3/8 rim or sprocket on the saw. When you replace the saw sprocket replace the clutch nut and backing washer.

Those forester bars are probably the most common used long bars available now.

It used to be GB bars, I use a 60” GB double end bar and a 48” Stihl bar. No complaints. The 36” Forester bar I use seems decent.

I don't think that saw has enough clutch for a 50 or 72" bar. Probably be too easy to slip. That's one of 2 major upgrades that makes an 090, a 6 shoe clutch.

The oilers and clutches on the knockoff 070 are widely variable, some work really good, some not so much. If the saw has a decent setup it will do a 48” bar, that is the longest bar I have tried on a knockoff. I was bucking not falling with it. That particular saw was very similar to a 076 Stihl, in terms of pulling a chain.

The 075/6 Stihls are easier to use, lighter, less vibrations, which is a statement you do get to type very often.

I don't think that saw has enough clutch for a 50 or 72" bar. Probably be too easy to slip. That's one of 2 major upgrades that makes an 090, a 6 shoe clutch.
I can tell you from experience with a real 070, that the little 3 shoe clutch WILL NOT stand up to a 60" bar at all. I'd saw 36" is max on that clutch with 42 possible if you run full skip and high raker height + are slow and careful. The saw has plenty of power, it's just too bad the clutch isn't stronger.

I'm learning something here, was always under the impression that fewer clutch shoes offer less slip because less gaps=more surface contact with the drum.

One could use a little softer springs on the clutch which helps, but as other have said it can slip. It appears that any of the large mount bars work fine if the OP drills new holes that align up with the clone after market saw. I even adapted a 3/8'' chain bar, but I do not recommend that effort. The larger clutches are available if you try. I checked with some people I knew in the UK, but they kept telling me it was too too much trouble to send any thing to the US. So I went to the UK Ebay and have yet to be disappointed. I found several 60'' bars in a large mount, but it seems that they are from $300 to $400 USD. Thanks

Back