homelight super xl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what size or cc this saw is.....top number above the serial number is 10499b......the serial is 4d2290079.....and there is also a number on chain side of case stamped 94935.....thank you

Homelight

can anyone tell me what size or cc this saw is.....top number above the serial number is 10499b......the serial is 4d2290079.....and there is also a number on chain side of case stamped 94935.....thank you

Noticing your spelling of Homelite, since they have been around so long. Maybe some of the younger generation don't know where the name Homelite originated from. After World War II, they made generators for farm homes that had gotten electricity so they used the name by changing the spelling of Homelight. Thought this might interest anyone who didn't know this.
chainsawlady

Homelight or Homelite

Noticing your spelling of Homelite, since they have been around so long. Maybe some of the younger generation don't know where the name Homelite originated from. After World War II, they made generators for farm homes that had gotten electricity so they used the name by changing the spelling of Homelight. Thought this might interest anyone who didn't know this.
chainsawlady

Sorry I left out, the farmers that did not have electricity. I know I can make mistakes too, only more often then I used to.
chainsawlady

Sorry I left out, the farmers that did not have electricity. I know I can make mistakes too, only more often then I used to.
chainsawlady

:redface:,thankyou for that info,and no i didnt know that..........very interesting!:)

thankyou guys,is this agood saw,is it worth buying?

Sure, if the price is right. They were built in various configurations over a 30+ year period, so parts are plentiful. I probably have 6 or 8 of them in various configurations.

HomeliteSuperXLpowerhead005.jpg

HomeliteSuperXLbow008.jpg

Homelitesaws002.jpg

not to mention that it had a very long service life and was one of the premier firewood saws from the 70's up to the 80's and later. With a good pair of gloves they are still a great saw to cut wood with, a bit more vibes than a ms290 but won't bog down as easily.

Great saws. Because they're so durable, and were made for such a long period.................they're not 'worth' a whole lot on the collector's market however. Still so many out there....

The XL-12 (released in 1963, it was the older 'brother' to the SXL-AO) was THE chainsaw that ushered in the era of 'lightweight', powerful chainsaws. First saw with the Tillotson HS carburetor. First saw with 3/8" pitch chain. The automatic oiler saws came two years after (1965). EVERYBODY else played catch up.

Even long after lighter, more powerful, more 'advanced' saws with vibration reducing features were introduced..............the SXL-AO soldiered on as a trusted workhorse (until 1995 or so). They are the embodiment of a tough, reliable saw. I have several variants of them. These saws are just starting to get 'decent collector money' on ebay....

thank you all! it a saw my dad has and it in great shape,i mite try to talk him out of it,it runs good and has a 20" bar i think,wide bar......runs good..:msp_thumbsup:

I have one Super XL12 I bought new in 1977, it has a 36" bar and skip link chain. I have used it a lot over the years and it still runs great. Also own 2 older SuperXL12 saws and a 450 Echo with a 24" bar. Wore out several poulans on rough work, dirty wood ect, disposable saws.
The Super XL12s are loud but are cutting son-of-a-guns.

Latest posts

Back