Homelite 330/360 worth 100 bucks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Guy messaged me local..says he has a 360 and 330, 360 runs but poorly, 330 hasnt been run in a while...wants 100 for the pair.

Im not familiar with homelites...i know their displacement but were they decent saws?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I really know nothing at all about homelites but at that price I would be tempted to grab them as long as I could pick them up or the shipping wouldn't drive the price up by much & after checking to see if most parts are not too hard to come by

Guy messaged me local..says he has a 360 and 330, 360 runs but poorly, 330 hasnt been run in a while...wants 100 for the pair.

Im not familiar with homelites...i know their displacement but were they decent saws?

That's a decent price for the two. Parts aren't hard to come by.

This is them
8fbca12515ca7a6bd92d0a7a9ebb5258.jpg

Got em. 360 needs a carb kit..probably intake boot. 330 doesn't seem to have spark

Well I guess they are your headache now but I had a 330 years ago and as much as I remember of those saws is it was heavy, slow and if I'm remembering loud and tuff on the hands. I definitely remember them being kind of funky to work on. Seems like I came into the chainsaw game when Homelite was almost just about out of business. I remember my dad running Homelites and raving about Poulans when he started buying Craftsman saws finally. LOL. When I got that 330 one of my real memories of that saw was thinking ," No wonder Homelite went out of business."

Well I guess they are your headache now but I had a 330 years ago and as much as I remember of those saws is it was heavy, slow and if I'm remembering loud and tuff on the hands. I definitely remember them being kind of funky to work on. Seems like I came into the chainsaw game when Homelite was almost just about out of business. I remember my dad running Homelites and raving about Poulans when he started buying Craftsman saws finally. LOL. When I got that 330 one of my real memories of that saw was thinking ," No wonder Homelite went out of business."
Not sure what you had but a 330 isn't a slow saw by any means. Everyone wants to knock a 35+ yr old saw but get it running properly and take care of it and it'll keep running.
Reminds me of the guy on YouTube talking crap about a top handle xl in pristine condition but only needed to replace fuel lines and clean not replace the carb gaskets and it started right up. Wow want a "piece of junk" that is, great limbing saw.

Homelite enthusiast in training.

Not sure what you had but a 330 isn't a slow saw by any means. Everyone wants to knock a 35+ yr old saw but get it running properly and take care of it and it'll keep running.
Reminds me of the guy on YouTube talking crap about a top handle xl in pristine condition but only needed to replace fuel lines and clean not replace the carb gaskets and it started right up. Wow want a "piece of junk" that is, great limbing saw.

May be I shouldn't say they were junk but compared to the competition at the time, They were heavy slow and cumbersome. Other than that, they were great saws that were the last gasp of a company that couldn't compete. Just like those 2 triggered top handles. Yeah they were great until Poulan and Echo hit the scene..

Not arguing but 10,500 to 11,000 rpm's on a 54cc saw at that time is not slow. Some of the material (rubber) of the time might have been junk and operator neglect almost a certain is the major problem with these and other brands saws. I've worked on plenty of vintage big name saws that have the very same issues. The 330 wasn't designed for the lumberjack's load of work but the homeowner. And metal over plastic any day.
8fc0043dccc4e6455ce15a0201bc6bfb.jpg

These were heavy saws not a 12lb'er
57ba3e8d05af143118bd6e978a54940e.jpg
da7b2c66dc5a7e119eab8b1cc124a4e3.jpg

330 has spark, compression..dripping fuel in it doesn't hit, the reeds may be suspect. Ive got a new boot coming for it also so while im there ill look at the reed cage

Bumping this thread, I was given a pair of 330’s. I’m looking at ~$80-100 to fix the two of them (so far) and I’m wondering if I could get that much out of them.
Maybe. I eventually did get mine to go, new rings, boot, lines, carb kit, oiler overhaul, gaskets, and a coil...because it would die after 3 minutes. Runs good...nothing special saw overall but neat old reed motor.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The 360 was an entry level pro saw, the 330 was similar to a farm/ranch saw. I had 2 360s like new, they ran well but I preferred my 3700 Poulan. Those saws didn’t last long and it’s funny Homelite produced those 2 to kind of replace the XL12/SXLAO, that were getting long in the tooth by the late 70s. But the XL saws were perfect. Guys loved them and they soldiered on for almost 20 more year while the 3xx saws disappeared after a couple. If that means anything

Back