Homelite 330 clutch & oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys!

A few years ago, the janitor at work found this old saw in the trash and gave it to me. it was pretty rough looking, so I just put her in the dead pile in the garage and forgot about her. Recently, a friend a work asked if i had any decent saws for use around the house, he's a good guy, family man...not a lot of extra spending money, so I thought I'd fix this thing up and give it to him.

It had spark, and with fresh fuel mix, I couldn't get her to pop....so I dumped some mix down the carb and WHAM!...she fired right up within a couple pulls....ran GREAT! Tinkered with the carb a bit and she's a strong runner. The chain was continuously running with the RPMs, so I disassembled the clutch and found one of the shoes ripped off and wedged in-between the sprocket and side of the clutch face. My question....I've about got the clutch completely disassembled, but I can get the last piece off, that the shoes and springs attach to....1. Is it threaded on? and 2. Is it attached permanently to that big washer behind it....or has it fused together with rust over the years?

And also...I didn't see any oil coming out anywhere while running it, even after I filled it up with fresh oil. Is there a way to adjust the flow....could the oil pump be shot? doesn't look easy to replace.

Thanks,

Dow

IMG_2851.jpg IMG_2854.jpg

Hi guys!

A few years ago, the janitor at work found this old saw in the trash and gave it to me. it was pretty rough looking, so I just put her in the dead pile in the garage and forgot about her. Recently, a friend a work asked if i had any decent saws for use around the house, he's a good guy, family man...not a lot of extra spending money, so I thought I'd fix this thing up and give it to him.

It had spark, and with fresh fuel mix, I couldn't get her to pop....so I dumped some mix down the carb and WHAM!...she fired right up within a couple pulls....ran GREAT! Tinkered with the carb a bit and she's a strong runner. The chain was continuously running with the RPMs, so I disassembled the clutch and found one of the shoes ripped off and wedged in-between the sprocket and side of the clutch face. My question....I've about got the clutch completely disassembled, but I can get the last piece off, that the shoes and springs attach to....1. Is it threaded on? and 2. Is it attached permanently to that big washer behind it....or has it fused together with rust over the years?

And also...I didn't see any oil coming out anywhere while running it, even after I filled it up with fresh oil. Is there a way to adjust the flow....could the oil pump be shot? doesn't look easy to replace.

Thanks,

Dow

View attachment 597689 View attachment 597691
I'm glad you asked about the oiler. I've also got a 330 that won't oil the chain. Still can't figure it out. Let's hope you get a good answer.
Not sure what to tell you about your clutch issue as it's been a year since I looked at mine. Others here should be able to help you.

Hi guys!

Thanks,

Dow

It spins off in a clockwise rotation.

Spins off clockwise....great! Thanks! Now is that plate behind the clutch piece attatched to it?

And how do I get this thing to oil? There's a screw on the bottom of the saw right in the middle, is it some sort of adjustment for the oiler?

Dow

Hi guys!

Thanks,

Dow

If you take off that spider, take note exactly which way it's on. It's only supposed to go on one way. Also grease that bearing good before reinstalling clutch.

The oiler is a crankcase pulse actuated oiler. There is no adjustment. This video best explains how the oiler works, and a easy fix if all parts are good

Thanks a lot guys! Reading up on the sucker, sounds like the oiling system isn't any good to begin with. I'll tear it apart tonight and look for any blocked or linked oil/vacuum lines...and check out the diaphragm for the pump. Anything else I should check? I can get a clutch shoe relatively cheap, and a new diaphram if needed cheap also...I don't want to dump a bunch of $$$ into this saw.

Dow

You might want to take a good look at the rubber carb boot between the upper frame and the cylinder. They are a weak link on these saws. Even if it's not torn now, if it is brittle, your new saw owner will have lean running problems with it soon when it tears. Good way to turn that saw into a doorstop if the piston/cylinder scores.

Well...I spent a few hours with this thing today after work. Took the filter out of the oil tank, it was clogged...cleaned it and tried running...still no oil. Watched the tutorial and unassembled the pump, checked the diaphragm and spring...all seems flexible and properly functioning. I've got a good flow of oil from the tank to the pump, just not the pump to the bar. Tried priming the pump...still no oil. I guess it's got to be a bad vacuum hose from the crankcase to the pump? My question now....how in the hell do I get the upper part of the saw with the trigger and carb/gas tank...off of the cylinder/lower body of the saw? I ve got every bolt and screw that I can find and I can't get it off. I need to get underneath to check that vacuum hose I believe....frustrating....what am I missing here fellas?

Thanks,
Dow

IMG_2860.JPG IMG_2861.JPG

Dern right you guys forgot to tell me that. No I haven't removed the carb. I thought about it, then unscrewed one of the screws about halfway and said...no...that can't be what's holding it on, and tightened it back up. Is that what I'm screwing up?

Dow

Man...I'm completely lost now...and frustrated...I'm about ready to chuck this thing back in the dumpster. I got the saw apart, after taking the carb and oil pump off, and the fuel tank. Checked out the intake boot....seemed very pliable still, no dry rot or rips. And the hose in question from the crankcase to the oil pump seemed just fine too. Wasn't kinked or compressed...so, I have no idea why this thing isn't oiling now. What a let down. What now saw wizards?

Dow

Man...I'm completely lost now...and frustrated...I'm about ready to chuck this thing back in the dumpster. I got the saw apart, after taking the carb and oil pump off, and the fuel tank. Checked out the intake boot....seemed very pliable still, no dry rot or rips. And the hose in question from the crankcase to the oil pump seemed just fine too. Wasn't kinked or compressed...so, I have no idea why this thing isn't oiling now. What a let down. What now saw wizards?

Dow
Go with your gut, go ahead and chuck the POS back in the dumpster like you said.

Trust me, they are not worth the trouble. Even if you get it oiling the starter will break next week then it will quit oiling again anyway.

They can be fixed if you must but most guys do what the previous owner did. I've done 5 or 6 and they do get easier , just be sure while you're working on it to check the mounts, they tend to get a little soft and flex more and that makes it harder on the intake boot.

I want to fix it up, but she's no good if the oiler won't work. I've already checked everything I could to make sure it would oil...diaphragm, vacuum hose from crankcase, oil tank line/filter, tried priming the system...not sure what else to do about the issue? Maybe I'll replace some hoses and reassemble...if interested oils I won't throw it away....if it won't...I'll part er out and find another saw for my friend.

Back