Homelite 360 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBuck96

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've just purchased a homelite 360 with full intention of restoring it. I was just wondering if there's possibly anything that is a more common issue that i should look for first. The saw has good compression and will turn over. I plan to replace: fuel lines, air cleaner, etc. But is there anything mechanically speaking that i should give attention right off the bat? Any advise or insite would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Welcome YoungBuck96. Another thing is anti-vibes, especially the bottom one on the clutch side. It gets oily and can turn to mush. If the anti-vibes are shot, there's alot more flex between the main engine and the fuel/handle, which adds wear and tear on even a new intake boot. Search around here or google for 360 ignition testing and you can find out how to test the 2 part ignition system. If ya don't have a spark, try making sure there's a good ground contact on the transformer mount where it contacts the rear cylinder cover piece.
Dan

Welcome YoungBuck96. Another thing is anti-vibes, especially the bottom one on the clutch side. It gets oily and can turn to mush. If the anti-vibes are shot, there's alot more flex between the main engine and the fuel/handle, which adds wear and tear on even a new intake boot. Search around here or google for 360 ignition testing and you can find out how to test the 2 part ignition system. If ya don't have a spark, try making sure there's a good ground contact on the transformer mount where it contacts the rear cylinder cover piece.
Dan
I believe TheChainsawGuy has a video on the ignition testing. And he also sells the ignition modules.

I spoke with the chainsaw guy on this. To check the module pull the transistor off the spark plug, wet your finger tips lay them on the two metal tabs that can be seen on either side of the spark plug, pull over or have a buddy pull it while your fingers are on the tabs, you feel it in your fingers. It won't shock you as the transistor is what steps up the voltage to the plug.

Got the saw all taken down. Carb already has new kit in it. Piston has some very very faint scouring from when the carb boot failed. Tiny bit or dirt mustve made its way in there. Should have the new boot on monday. Other than that, seems to be the only thing keeping the saw from running. Fuel, impulse and oil lines are all in great shape. Should have her running by tuesday. The bar i got with it happens to be shot. Ordering a new windsor for it tonight. Should turn out to be a great saw.

Back