Homelite C-72

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zilla24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all. I just inherited my late fathers Homelite C-72 saw that he bought new back in 1979. It’s pretty neat the original sales receipt and manual were still with it.

It hasn’t run in 20 or so years. I replaced the fuel lines that essentially had dissolved themselves in the old fuel, pulled the carb and gave it a look through. It has spark and will run on a spritz of mixed gas in the cylinder but will not start or sputter on its own. I’m wondering if it’s a priming issue? I pulled the fuel bulb and filled the line before submerging it back in the tank, didn’t seem to make a difference.

I’m not very familiar with these old saws if maybe I’m missing something simple? What ratio should I mix the gas? If I remember correctly he used to mix 32:1.

So did you replace the internal fuel line as well as the tank to carb?
If the saw isn't pulling fuel you'll probably need to rebuild the carb. Make sure the flywheel key isn't damaged so the timing won't be off. You can also check to see if the reeds aren't damaged or bent and the impulse holes are clear. The C-72 shouldn't have a primer bulb. Can you post a picture?
It should look like this correct?
40:1 is fine.

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]
5b8d4bcb7497cc1466f2d95c3857b2d4.jpg

If you can't see fuel being pulled up to the carb you will need to definitely fully clean and replace the carb kit (RK88HL) because the pump diaphragm isn't working. Also the 2 needles should start at 1 turn out from seat to start.

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

Here are a few pictures. I did replace the in tank fuel line, it all but had dissolved over time. The only fuel in the line to the carb is what I added with a syringe in an attempt to prime the system.

I had the carb apart, it was spotless inside and the diaphragm didn’t look bad, I didn’t want to remove it as I’m always afraid of tearing them. It’s possible though due to age it’s not operating as it should.

Latest posts

Back