Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, Your saw is leaking bar oil into the crank case, most likely from a missing check valve in the top of the bar oil tank. It is called a duck bill valve and is a rubber check valve that prevents bar oil from getting syphoned back into the crankcase. You should replace it before you use it again. The valve is only a few dollars. Jonathan

"would he have parts for a 540?"

I dunno...maybe. But about the time Homelite appeared in the box stores he quit selling them in any serious quantity, and his parts stock would obviously centered around the saws he sold and got parts calls for, so I wouldn't expect too many.

I haven't had to search too hard for parts for chainsaws, because most of thye moldy oldies I've got lived around here all their lives. The dealers that sold them around here sometimes still have old stock, and most of them know each other and who held onto what.
Believe it or not, but Homelite parts in N.C, seems to be fairly good at filling orders still. Some old Homie dealers don't want to bother and have remained angry over the bad old days. Just keep calling around.

"would he have parts for a 540?"

I dunno...maybe. But about the time Homelite appeared in the box stores he quit selling them in any serious quantity, and his parts stock would obviously centered around the saws he sold and got parts calls for, so I wouldn't expect too many.

I haven't had to search too hard for parts for chainsaws, because most of thye moldy oldies I've got lived around here all their lives. The dealers that sold them around here sometimes still have old stock, and most of them know each other and who held onto what.
Believe it or not
, but Homelite parts in N.C, seems to be fairly good at filling orders still.
Some old Homie dealers don't want to bother and have remained angry over the bad old days. Just keep calling around.

yea when i restart back in business i plan on buying out 5 dealers off there homelite inventory

HL5-30.jpg

thx for the response

Homedelightman, thanks for the diagnosis. It was really needed. I suspected bar oil but told myself no, it couldn't be unless there was a crack in the crankcase or the seals were leaking, and then there would have to be a leak in the oil resevoir itself. didn't sound right, especially since the saw has great compression and kick when given the throttle. I need a parts manual for that saw since the drum spur is worn pretty much, the air filter has seen better days and the plastic piece that turns the flywheel is about done. I have a service manual on the way but I don't have a parts listing. Know where I could pick one up ?
Thanks again on the info.

One more question. I have a stihl 046 that was rebuilt with the larger piston. 54mm. The saw has low compression, 90psi, but starts without a problem and idles well. recently the clutch came out in peices, I believe from heat- transfer. Clutch was blue.
The cage pin wore out on me twice with an hours usage. it;s not the wrong cage pin for the 046. And I looked at the cage pin for an 066 just in case. Didn't fit as well as the former. I understand if you don't have time to read this book but I can't figure it out and I don't want to trash the saw. Thank for all your help.

Homelite parts list

THx Modifiedmark, My email is [email protected]. I don't know how to use this website too well yet. I can't download any photos of saws I currently own which is driving me crazy, but I'll figure it out, probably with help from someone who's been around. I got alot of learning to do. I'd like to rebuild an 034 stihl,
and a mac 110. That's not to mention maintaining the super 2, an 046 that is being worked on by a dealer, an 084 that I bought on impulse. I been bit by the chainsaw bug. thx for your help in advance.

Mike

THx Modifiedmark, My email is [email protected]. I don't know how to use this website too well yet. I can't download any photos of saws I currently own which is driving me crazy, but I'll figure it out, probably with help from someone who's been around. I got alot of learning to do. I'd like to rebuild an 034 stihl,
and a mac 110. That's not to mention maintaining the super 2, an 046 that is being worked on by a dealer, an 084 that I bought on impulse. I been bit by the chainsaw bug. thx for your help in advance.

Mike

You should have it now. You will get a lesson in learning for sure if you tackle that 110 :)

Thanks for the parts llst Modified, I've already got the #s and names of the parts that I know I need. Should I post it here on this site to see if anyone has them? Talk to you soon.

Mike

Super EZ ?

How does the trigger lock work on the super EZ. On mine when I engage it (very stiff) the trigger does not stay in (thus not opening throttle) but what I believe to be a decompression lever does stay engaged but maybe it just because it's so stiff to move. I am assuming the trigger lock is supposed to hold the throttle open right?

Just picked up a 600D one ebay for $31.00. It is just supposed to need some carb work, but we'll see. 85cc's and 6.6hp for $53.00 shipped aint too bad. If you go by rated hp the 600d has more hp per cc than the mighty stihl 660.

Stihl 660=92cc's 7hp 13cc's per hp
Homelite 600D=85cc's 6.6hp 12.8cc's per hp

I'll bet that the 660 is still a bit quicker though.

Last edited:
I am such a :newbie:that I don't even know what it is. Can we see a pic when you get it?

Which one? The homelite which is a 1960 model and a lower RPM high torque saw. Or the 660 which is a modern (started as the 066 in the late 80's I think) high rpm saw and according to some, the standard of the industry. Both are heavy duty felling/logging saws for their respective era.

Last edited:
Back