Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked this XL-76 that came with a decent RS chain, a new RS chain and a Stihl case that I can use on my ATV. The saw is pretty nice cosmetically.
I checked the piston when I bought it and it is scored. The cylinders on these are tough and rarely have damage unless something got in there.
I figured it's nice and my beater firewood saw has a good P&C I could swap into it.

It's an early saw with a points ignition which I see as a major plus.

I thought I should see how it would run with the scored piston with a cleanup

I cleaned up the piston and cylinder and put it back together, gave the oil system a good cleaning and put a carb kit in it. Starts and runs very well.

The cold compression on it after 7 pulls is 185 lbs. All the others are at or just above 170 but this one has no cylinder base gasket.

I kind of cringe at having a scored piston but after giving it a light sanding a cleaning up the rings, it shouldn't really make any difference if it's not too bad and the ring grooves are not damaged.

As usual, the oiler pumps like the one on a splitter.

Here's a few pics.

DSCF3104.JPG DSCF3105.JPG DSCF3106.JPG

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie at this chainsaw stuff and I just got my first project, a Super XL-925. I probably got burnt on the price, but the guy said the compression in the cylinder was good, you live and you learn lol. SobI'm starting the breakdown and compiling a list of everything I need. Most of the parts can be found, but one part I really want to add back to the saw that was missing is the HI/Lo grommet. If anyone has any info on where I can pick up one new or used would be super!

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie at this chainsaw stuff and I just got my first project, a Super XL-925. I probably got burnt on the price, but the guy said the compression in the cylinder was good, you live and you learn lol. SobI'm starting the breakdown and compiling a list of everything I need. Most of the parts can be found, but one part I really want to add back to the saw that was missing is the HI/Lo grommet. If anyone has any info on where I can pick up one new or used would be super!
Do you have a pic of what it should look like? I would assume this piece was common amongst many models.

If only I could have picked up one when this guy still had them up.

Attachments

• IMG_4097.PNG
    IMG_4097.PNG
    139.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4098.PNG
    IMG_4098.PNG
    92.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4099.PNG
    IMG_4099.PNG
    86.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4100.PNG
    IMG_4100.PNG
    85.5 KB · Views: 11
I contacted the seller to see if he has anymore, or just in case he took them down because they didn't sell.

Those grommets are carb and saw model specific. You would need to find the correct UT number IPL and make sure the carb you have is the one in the IPL.
If you can't get one in a hurry, you can tune the saw and put a piece of tape over the hole when you run it.

Kenzie
I have a good inventory of Homelite original parts, new and used.
chainsawlady

Do you have a list or inventory you can send me? I will be replacing a lot of worn out parts on this saw that I am rebuilding.
Surely you don't expect her to list hundreds of pages of part numbers in her inventory. Might be easier to give her a list of the parts you need???

Surely you don't expect her to list hundreds of pages of part numbers in her inventory. Might be easier to give her a list of the parts you need???
I didn't know whether she already had a digital list like a spreadsheet or something, I just thought I would ask.

I didn't know whether she already had a digital list like a spreadsheet or something, I just thought I would ask.
She's running and old school dealership. Much easier for you to list what you need.

Although she could charge admission for chainsaw nerds like us to go through the parts aisles and drool at the NOS stuff.

XL-1 is a bare-bones version of the same saw. Later (red) XL-1 has no decomp and lacks the rubber grips. Early XL-1's (blue) were manual oiler but had the decomp. All the later XL-1's made in Canada had the boss for the decomp cast into the cylinders.

I actually have an early blue XL-1 on the bench with a frozen top-end. I have a super mini carcass. I am going to try and swap top ends. The XL-1 has holes cast and tapped for the auto oiler. Perhaps I can mount the oiler from the mini?

Hey all new to the site. I have a newer small Stihl saw and was looking for a larger saw to handle cutting some trees on my property that have been killed by the ash boring beetle. I ended up finding a package of 4 Homlite saws on my local Craigslist. I bought a 750 with a 36"bar, a super xl 925 with a 30" homelite bar, and a xl 98c with 30" bar that says xl98 c on the left side cover, but super xl 925 on the gas tank so I'm not sure what it is for sure.

IMG_6330.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG
The last one is I cannot tell the model, it is a bit t larger than the 750, and has a 53"bar with a helper handle. Plus it seems like there is either no clutch, or there is something wrong because the chain will not free wheel and turns with the engine when you pull it over. I'm not sure if it has been painted, or what. Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_6359.JPG IMG_6360.JPG IMG_6361.JPG IMG_6362.JPG

They were run in the last year and the owner had passed away. The xl 98 fires right up, the 750 and other big one need a carb cleaning. I have not done compression checks yet, but they feel and sound good and all run with a small shot of either.

Found out that the schematics with parts list aren't always accurate. Needed the gaskets for the carb on either side of the reed for my XL-12. Every one has the same part number as the SXLAO which has the cone reed. The XL-12 has the single reed as is pictured on page 31 of the Shop Manuel. I had to look thru hundreds of gasket pictures till I hopefully found the proper one.
Gee why do I love old things!

Latest posts

Back