Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like it was made in 1965 or 66. It does have an automatic oiler, it's 58cc. Great saw, nice condition, lucky you! It will run forever. Looks to be all original except the muffler screws.

If I recall, the Super XL were auto oiling with push button backup, and XL-12s were manual oilers. Don't take this to the bank.. I may be wrong..

My xl-12 had both. I almost never used the manual oiler, even in the large cuts. One of my favorite things about the xl-12 and xl-1 were the very robust all metal gear auto oilers, they looked to last a couple of lifetimes of homeowner use.

Looks to me like it was made in 1965 or 66. It does have an automatic oiler, it's 58cc. Great saw, nice condition, lucky you! It will run forever. Looks to be all original except the muffler screws.
According to spec sheets, the original SXL was manual oiler only. Only way to know for sure is to pull clutch cover and look if a pump is there or not ( right behind clutch drum)

Nothing better than large cube Homelite's and McCulloch's. Curious as to what the bike is though. Watching "On Any Sunday" currently and got a bike bug in me instead of the usual CAD induced one.

Interesting. The AF cover, manual oil pump and the front handlebar are XL-700 colors. That green front handle may have been used elsewhere as well.
The rear handle doesn't match the tank color.
Muffler cover looks to be off a SXL-925
Starter cover may be from a later model like a 92X series
THe choke pull is from an old model as is the rear handle.

Sorry I can't help ID it as it looks like it may be a few saws cobbled up. A ton of the parts on that series interchange.
I does look to be one of the older models.

See if it has a manual oiler only and what type of ignition it has and the HS carb model
Maybe that will help narrow it down

Where would I look for auto oiler? I can't see anything under/behind the clutch when I tip it over.

Also the bracket that mounts the handle to the top pto side of the saw is blue.

Do all of the cylinders interchange on this family of saws? Just evaluating if I want to build this one or wait for another to come along and keep this as a parts saw.

As far as my experience goes with the few I have, yes they do.

THe fuel tank on your saw is not from a 700 or 701 as those tanks were epoxied together and you wont see any screws on the flywheel side holding the tank halves together, If you pull the starter and look at the paint color on the crankcase that may narrow it further. Maybe someone can chime in because I think there may have been another model that was painted blue.

As far as my experience goes with the few I have, yes they do.

THe fuel tank on your saw is not from a 700 or 701 as those tanks were epoxied together and you wont see any screws on the flywheel side holding the tank halves together, If you pull the starter and look at the paint color on the crankcase that may narrow it further. Maybe someone can chime in because I think there may have been another model that was painted blue.
Tim, I'll have to look, but I think my old 925 is red and blue.,,,red body and blue air filter..the manual oiler crosses over in the carb area to the right side and does a pump thingy from there, where I assume the auto-oiler is. I'll look later.. I haven't run it yet.. That's why I don't know S##t bout it

Latest posts

Back