Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, the term "easy to work" on moves them higher on the list of to do's.

Rich Dougan did a video that certainly helped out on my first one. I do take the handle off just to get it out of the way. And by all means, leave the carb in place if you don't need to work on it. The linkage and kill switch can be frustrating to get back in place if you remove the carb. Getting the plug wire back in place when you slide the housing back together is the only other thing that can be tricky. Can get in the way of the kill switch if you're not paying attention during reassembly. Very simple to work on otherwise.

IMG_20190408_191057.jpg IMG_20190408_191045.jpg IMG_20190408_205439.jpg

Just finished a complete teardown on this old girl. One of the seals and main bearing assemblies were shot, compression was low. Since I had to tear it all down to do the rings, I said hang the budget, might as well freshen everything up since it's just as easy to put back together. I ended up replacing:

Carb kit
Carb gasket
Reed
Jug gasket
Jug / piston / ring / wrist pin (up-sized to 1 13/16")
Main bearings (upgraded to INA SCH108)
Main seals
Thrust bearings
Connecting rod
Connecting rod crankshaft needles
PTO side crankcase gasket

I'm guessing since it says "Lightest Saw in Famous XL Series" and since it has a 7 digit serial it pre-dates the XL 101.

Hey Pogo keep an eye peeled for a Homie Super EZ in blue and white. Have a full wrap handle that needs a home.

Someone else may want to chime in on this, but after a bunch of searching (out of curiosity) I don't think they made a Super in Blue/Blue and White, just as the 'standard' 34cc E-Z. A full wrap on one o' those?

View attachment 728902 View attachment 728903 View attachment 728904

Just finished a complete teardown on this old girl. One of the seals and main bearing assemblies were shot, compression was low. Since I had to tear it all down to do the rings, I said hang the budget, might as well freshen everything up since it's just as easy to put back together. I ended up replacing:

Carb kit
Carb gasket
Reed
Jug gasket
Jug / piston / ring / wrist pin (up-sized to 1 13/16")
Main bearings (upgraded to INA SCH108)
Main seals
Thrust bearings
Connecting rod
Connecting rod crankshaft needles
PTO side crankcase gasket

I'm guessing since it says "Lightest Saw in Famous XL Series" and since it has a 7 digit serial it pre-dates the XL 101.
I just checked my Blue/White XL12 and the serial begins with 2351xxx, a little new than yours. I think mine dates to 66.

I cleaned up my old C9, New Bearings and seals, fuel line.
New paint although not to spec but it works for me.
06523b248cb8879fd4d54975a261de35.jpg
2357b8e3a7361fce594aac8b496a14e8.jpg

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Thanks, the term "easy to work" on moves them higher on the list of to do's.

As a minor correction regarding leaving the carb in place if possible while working on a 150, I meant to say the 'choke button' when referring to the linkage, not the kill switch. That's a whole other story. LOL

Brought home a beater XL-701 today. An appropriate amount of abuse and mileage. This is the good looking side. Piston, cylinder and compression great. Needed a pint of gelled fuel and 3 spent fuel filters and lines removed from the tank. 10 min. and a new pickup line in tank and it seems to be running well.

Homelite XL-701 Beater (2).JPG

Back