Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it happened I finally got the Homelite bug. I picked up an XL12 a while back, cut a little wood with it, and while it’s a great saw it just didn’t turn me on to the Homelite brand so I cleaned it up and put it on the shelf.

then yesterday I found this little gem for $35. Old boy was retiring and cleaning out his shop. After an initial once over I put some fresh mix in and she fired up after about 8-9 pulls. Took a bit to find herself then settled in and purred. He said it hasn’t ran in probably 25 years. Needless to say I’m hooked lol.

View attachment 832121View attachment 832122View attachment 832123View attachment 832124
Super clean one owner saw.
oilers work and the fuel tank was clean. All the de comp mechanism works etc.
Ordered a carb kit just in case but I don’t think it needs it. Let it sit overnight then went out this morning and she fired right up! View attachment 832132View attachment 832131View attachment 832130

If it wasn't for the super EZ I probably would have stopped with picking up Homelite saws, but for the size of that little saw it really ripped!
I've got a couple XL-12 s but that EZ is AWESOME so I kinda figured I better try a few different styles of the Homelite family.
I think for a 2 saw plan you could do alot worse than a super 1050A and a super EZ , everything from trimming branches to dropping redwoods.

I AGREE,LITTLE POWERHOUSES.ONE OF THE BEST SAWS HOMELITE EVER MADE IMO.
Yeah that’s what I’ve heard on here so I didn’t hesitate once I seen it. I’ll toss it in the truck with me next trip I take to the hills and see if I can get it in some wood.
You won't be disappointed.I think last count I have about 19 of them (including little brothers the EZ & Super Mini).

The SXL has the oil fill up by the front handle & I didn't see it there.If the oil fill is back by the spark plug then it's an XL-12.Another thing to check,but not a sure fire thing is pull the drivecase cover off & see if it has an auto-oiler behind the clutch,if it does then it's a SXL.The XL-12's didn't have auto-oilers,but then again not all SXL's had auto-oilers either.Another way to tell what saw it is is to measure the cylinder.The XL-12 is 54cc,the SXL is 58cc.

If it wasn't for the super EZ I probably would have stopped with picking up Homelite saws, but for the size of that little saw it really ripped!
I've got a couple XL-12 s but that EZ is AWESOME so I kinda figured I better try a few different styles of the Homelite family.
I think for a 2 saw plan you could do alot worse than a super 1050A and a super EZ , everything from trimming branches to dropping redwoods.
Well, I'm down to my Dad's first 1050, it's one with a Tilly, and 2 Super Ez's and a blue EZ. Oh, and about 30 others in between. But the shelves are getting lighter. Take care of Doug.

Believe it or not, that WAS my two saw plan for a while. Had 24" and 36" bars for the 1050 and a 16 on the SEZAO. I retired the SEZAO a few ears ago and gave it a restoration. (my hands finally stopped vibrating last week :laugh: ). Still use the 1050 now and then.

My new Super Wiz 66.
It's 100% complete, all I did was replace the fuel lines and rebuilt the carb after a nice ultrasonic cleaner bath!
I'm going to change the pull cord next because it will break on me. I added new 80/90 wgt. Lucas synthetic oil to the gearbox.
0b6466afa3f51e5152ab56dabba9d222.jpg
020656cf2a38cb17302ade8cedc4a18f.jpg
57d5c37d6a5b0e7f2a62de35c9ca0804.jpg
8817e727e89a489575d0bc1fffe0abfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My new Super Wiz 66.
It's 100% complete, all I did was replace the fuel lines and rebuilt the carb after a nice ultrasonic cleaner bath!
I'm going to change the pull cord next because it will break on me. I added new 80/90 wgt. Lucas synthetic oil.
0b6466afa3f51e5152ab56dabba9d222.jpg
020656cf2a38cb17302ade8cedc4a18f.jpg
57d5c37d6a5b0e7f2a62de35c9ca0804.jpg
8817e727e89a489575d0bc1fffe0abfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Nice find and complete! Is that chain .404 or 1/2"

Yep.There's variation from different sources / grinder manufacturers, but 1/4" wheels are generally indicated for 1/2", 9/16", and 5/8". The thing to keep in mind when grinding the larger chains is how much more quickly those wheels will wear down and lose their profile (if using a typical resinoid wheel) compared to smaller/shorter chain setups. If not careful / attentive, you can end up with a totally different cutter profile on the last cutter than on the first one. Here are a couple of good links for specs and supplies.

http://sharpchain.com/shop/ and https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Chainsaw-Grinding-Wheels-All-Sizes-C257.aspx

I have a Super XL Automatic on hand right now with an extremely leaky fuel cap; it appears to be coming from the sintered metal vent. Can anyone point me in a direction to correct this?

This is not the particular cap in question but I hope it illustrates the point. The actual leaker is black and has the chain tether in the tank.

20200623_103648.jpg

If it were a McCulloch fuel cap I would know what to do but this one is unfamiliar to me.

Mark

Latest posts

Back