Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price drop, $100 plus the ride, someone shoot me an offer.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Saw is sold and headed to West Virginia.
I'm surprised nobody here wanted it at that price. [emoji1745]

Most people here probably either already have one, or did at one time. I have two or three I'll never get to and would have a hard time giving them away in my area. Only paid $35 for the nice one.

And let's not forget, times are getting pretty rough for lots of folks these days and food is more than likely above 'old chainsaw' on the priority list for many..., even some of us.

Most people here probably either already have one, or did at one time. I have two or three I'll never get to and would have a hard time giving them away in my area. Only paid $35 for the nice one.

And let's not forget, times are getting pretty rough for lots of folks these days and food is more than likely above 'old chainsaw' on the priority list for many..., even some of us.
You are likely right. It sold through Facebook and it sounds like the guy intends to really use the saw. He needs something that can pull a long bar but he didn't have much money to spend. Apparently he gets cast-offs from a veneer plant and some of the stuff is quite large.
I explained to him that these old saws are slow by today's standards and are manual oil only but that it would do what he needed it to and he was happy with that so win win I guess.

On the XL-12s with the all plastic manual oiler button, how does it come out?
I've never pulled any of mine as they pump and check well. But, there is a retaining pin held captive by the rear handle cover. Pull the two handle screws and voila.

IPL doesn't show the pin location very well.
image.jpegimage (1).jpeg

Thank you I received a parts saw without the oiler button, but it runs.
The motor is good and I have one with a roached piston so.
On the saw with the missing button I see that there is threads a the top of the oiler button hole ? So maybe it take the early oiler button?

Thank you I received a parts saw without the oiler button, but it runs.
The motor is good and I have one with a roached piston so.
On the saw with the missing button I see that there is threads a the top of the oiler button hole ? So maybe it take the early oiler button?

Yes. Looks like this one

1599753077748.png

Got a new C series Homelite yesterday, it's a C-72 and minus the exhaust it's complete and running...now!
17e72ab39f4c4f0234588d205dd8333f.jpg
65062c7eb18d9f8a04fc71d3b8ed53b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

20200912_095704.jpg20200912_095815.jpg
Here's a new one for me, super XL-12 .
The bar I have mounted on it was really splayed out on the bottom rail so I took my rail closer and tightened it up, but 2 spots are a little bit too tight. Made some cuts and as the bar heated up the rail would clamp down on the chain, stalling the saw.

View attachment 854632
The outside was pretty clean when I got it?

I picked up an old blue XL-12 that looked like that. It was beautiful and spotless on the outside. There was grease and junk about 50 years old jammed in under the covers! Hilarious. I guess some people just couldn’t be bothered to turn a few screws to clean them up.

I have to admit that a Pro mac 700 I used for milling some cedar got incredibly dirty under the starter housing, in a hurry!
After checking the a "new to me "saw for spark the next thing I usually do is disassemble it for cleaning, that has a way of exposing any defective parts or crushed lines/wires.

Back