Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did someone say 770G? I'm getting the cylinder shield from CBfarmall (THANKS) so she won't look so naked.
3738d257462060564ef0fa3e79917a65.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training.

I just finished up rebuilding this Homelite Super XL. It started out with the bottom end case on the pto side only being held on with one bolt/screw. So what I figured happened is it eventually broke the gasket seal and leaned out in a big hurry and turned the piston into shrapnel. After finding all the parts, she runs again with a fancy 24" bar. The only thing I could not find was a reasonably priced air filter cover. So I used one off the old blue doner saw and painted it. Some day i'll paint the homelite and vertical stripes on it white but it looks decent for now.
Next I have another Super XL to rebuilt but a blue version. It actually runs now but needs a cleaning and servicing. (fuel lines and grommets all rotten). Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_8620.JPG
    IMG_8620.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8621.JPG
    IMG_8621.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8622.JPG
    IMG_8622.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8623.JPG
    IMG_8623.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8624.JPG
    IMG_8624.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Saturday score. My Echo dealer had a customer/friend with two old saws and told him to call me. One was a Super XL Automatic. It was really cruddy dirty with fine saw dust and oil. Had a new air cleaner on it, but under neath, the carb box looked just like the outside of the saw, packed with real fine dust, probably cutting with dull chain. throat of carb was full and choke butterfly was covered. Sprayed it out with breakclean. Primed it with mix, fired right up. Filled tank and primed a couple more times, runs great. The owner said it probably hasn’t been run since early 80’s. Other saw is an Echo 280E, starts on prime but won’t pull from tank yet. I’ll check fuel lines and filter today.

I just finished this xl923. A bit of a moral dilemma now. The saw runs great, piston is perfect and 175psi of punch. The decomp lever is broke and it needs a good bar and chain (came with a ****** lo-kickback) I had originally wanted to sell it and find a 925. Still might but this saw turned out better than I thought.BCDAAE08-7335-45B2-8866-BA6034D71C3E.jpeg E811F40F-0A67-4C86-8313-A783460625EC.jpeg7E4B8DD0-0832-499B-8CDD-92D27767F0F5.jpeg

Did someone say 770G? I'm getting the cylinder shield from CBfarmall (THANKS) so she won't look so naked.
3738d257462060564ef0fa3e79917a65.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training.
I keep looking at that one every time I check in. Can't wait till the page changes. I keep thinking I have to at least clean the decades of dirt off mine and see how it looks. All the parts are on it, it's just cruddy. I bought 19 saws out of that shop and they all have many years of crud on them. A couple have been good runners. I think mine is locked up, but I'm afraid to go give it a pull. It already fell off the shelf once and landed on my wife's new Lexus. Lucky for me, it fell bar nose first, hit the bumper, and put a tooth shape nick on the bumper, then fell away from the car.

I just finished this xl923. A bit of a moral dilemma now. The saw runs great, piston is perfect and 175psi of punch. The decomp lever is broke and it needs a good bar and chain (came with a ****** lo-kickback) I had originally wanted to sell it and find a 925. Still might but this saw turned out better than I thought.View attachment 890660 View attachment 890661View attachment 890659
What mount/bar length? I've got a few near-new 24 x 3/8 D196 mount bars I need to sell.

The guys here can probably help you trouble shoot it. Is it dead, half dead, but not running well? I was having a hard time getting the flywheel off my Super 1050 and I think I got the cheap Harbor Freight puller, and then had to get smaller bolts to pull it. I don't think it lined up dead even, I had to play with it, but it worked. I put an electronic chip in that one and it runs great. I also made a puller for one of my XL12's. I took a piece of angle iron about 8" long. Drilled a hole in the center and put a bolt through the hole lined up on the crank shaft bolt. I put a nut on the bolt to keep it from falling out. Then lined up two more holes with the bolt holes in the flywheel, and put two long bolts in them. As you wind the big bolt on the flywheel tight, you have to keep moving the nut up. It works fine for flywheels.

Back