Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my XL-123 and it is a go to when I'm out cutting.
Send me your basket case I'll put it together for you!
7b6a780cc9739daa073dca3ee667efe3.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]
Sharp saw there!

I sold the 103 on here shortly after I got it back. It made me mad looking at it so I figured no sense in letting that bad karma hang out at my house.

I just finished re-doing my XL-101 a month or so back. I replaced the original muffler with a 102/104 series muffler and it too is a nice runner, picked up an entire kit from Leon's

Hey guys, I think I found the 550's air leak. :laugh:
Intake boot looks completely blown out. I'll know for sure once I can finish getting to it, but I'm having a little trouble.
Carb is obviously off, lower bracket is off, and I've removed 5 screws that attach the upper portion to the main body of the saw through AV mounts, but it feels like something is still holding on preventing me from getting it off. Is there a screw or two that I missed somewhere? Do I need to remove the full wrap handle?
Honestly, I'm amazed that the piston/cylinder appear to still be fine. You would think all the potential for dust and debris to get in there would have ruined it, unless all of this degradation happened while it was sitting unused for years.
550boot.jpg

Things are rarely easy, are they? What I was hoping would be a simple partial disassembly, clean up, new boot and reassemble turned into a bit of a headache.
My enemy was all the hoses weaving their way in, out and around the air box, preventing both the box and oil/fuel tank from separating nicely from the engine.
I got it done, but not until what I believe is the auto oiler pickup hose popped out of the oil tank with a small amount of force. Was there supposed to be something on the end of that hose inside the oil tank? I can't tell looking at the IPL.
Second, the manual oiler pickup hose cracked where it bends coming out of the tank. I don't know if it was already like that, or if I did that while trying to wrestle with the air box, but it happened.
Either way, I'm going to need to get new hose of the proper diameter to replace it with. Am I going to need to split the tank in half to do that? Anything else I should do?

With that being said, I got the old intake boot removed, which was unsurprisingly trashed. It's like the rubber had turned into a gooey mush.
Some pics of the old boot and current situation.
550RuinedBoot.jpg
550-1.jpg
550-2.jpg
550-3.jpg
550-4.jpg

Any body a fan of the 330? I'm watching one in an auction and the current bid is $2. Normally I'd pass on it, but it's in outstanding condition. Barely any wear on the Homelite bar, looked like it might be a 24". Black hard case. I took a plug wrench and it had spark, put a shot of mix in the plug hole and it fired right up. Sounded great. I was dogging on the 330 once and someone said, once you get past the intake issue, they are pretty good saws. I take a plastic syringe with mix in it with me to auctions and prime it through the carb or plug, which ever is easier. But after that first start up, I don't go any further. I don't want to do the leg work for someone to bid against me. I figure I'll go $10 on it. Sale ends tomorrow.

Any body a fan of the 330? I'm watching one in an auction and the current bid is $2. Normally I'd pass on it, but it's in outstanding condition. Barely any wear on the Homelite bar, looked like it might be a 24". Black hard case. I took a plug wrench and it had spark, put a shot of mix in the plug hole and it fired right up. Sounded great. I was dogging on the 330 once and someone said, once you get past the intake issue, they are pretty good saws. I take a plastic syringe with mix in it with me to auctions and prime it through the carb or plug, which ever is easier. But after that first start up, I don't go any further. I don't want to do the leg work for someone to bid against me. I figure I'll go $10 on it. Sale ends tomorrow.
The 330 isn't a bad saw just make sure you do a complete inspection and repair of simple issues.
b4a7b3a67be4130a94c286448e740f83.jpg

Anyone live relatively close to Delaware that might want a free old homelite? Well...free aside from shipping if wanted. I bought one a few weeks back that I think is an xl-923.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
I'll take it if it's still available!

Hey all! Bought my first Homelite, 410. Looking for fuel an oil cap if any one has one available!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all! Bought my first Homelite, 410. Looking for fuel an oil cap if any one has one available!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if you have the part # but here it is
A-93420, several available but very pricey.

In an effort to replace the pulse line on the 550, I figured out that I need to dig a little deeper.
I did just that and got the new line popped into place, along with cleaning all the grime and debris out of the area, but I've encountered yet another small issue.
While getting the thin metal plate thingy off, there's a piece of foam(part 70377) underneath that just completely fell apart with even a light touch. Literally turned to dust.
My question here is: Is this foam piece necessary? If it is, what's a foam out there that is a suitable replacement for it? I assume it would need to be heat, gas and oil resistant. And finally, are there any photos of the original foam piece? I have no idea what it's supposed to look like, or what kind of cutouts it has.

Also, is this how the intake boot is supposed to fit onto this piece? Do I just align the flanges with the holes in the air box, then work the garter spring to the bottom?
Intake Boot.jpg

Back