Homelite electric chainsaw test cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Tried out a Homelite electric saw on dry oak, and was surprised at the power. Specifically, all torque at half the rpm. I had to lean into it quite a bit to get it to cut at a good rate, even then It wasn't really loading up. I think if it had a full chipper chain with the guides cut down a bit, it would knock almost half the cutting time off.

Iv always thought an electric would be handy around the house.

I have a Remington with a 16" bar on it. Bought it at a yard sale, in it's OEM box with all the paperwork. It was like brand-new. Not a scratch on it anywhere, and it was clean as could be.

It cost me a whole $10.00 :happy:

d5778979-c6f6-480a-ae59-f0c7a8ae0bd4_400.jpg

I have an electric harbor freight pole saw I bought to reach some high branches.
But for education purposes, what are the benefits/uses of an electric saw? Is it lighter, cheaper, something else?
I have used electric hedge trimmers on light stuff before, but always seemed faster and more powerful just to use a gas unit (though heavier) and I just didn't like being tethered.

Keep in mind an electric saw uses a motor not an engine and there is no clutch, so instead of bogging down when it is getting overworked, it just blows a breaker or blows the motor and sets the cord on fire :)
They feel like they have plenty of power all the time for the same reason a Tesla car goes 0-100 in 1.2 seconds, instant torque from the motor.
ALSO IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT CHAPS PROVIDE NO PROTECTION AGAINST AN ELECTRIC OR BATTERY POWERED CHAINSAW.
chaps work by shredding the tiny fibers inside the material and binding up the clutch instantly
an electric chainsaw eats through the chaps and your leg without mercy

always use safety chain with an electric chainsaw, they don't have the same antikickback protection as gas powered saws so they can hit you in the forehead in an instant and still be running full speed with your finger on the trigger

The reason is that the farther an electric motor is from its no load speed, the more torque it makes. Basically the opposite of an engine.

Mike

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dad has a John deere model 7 corded saw. I can't tell you how many tires we've double cut with it while building our quarter scale pulling tractors. Dad became a master making pulling tires with that.

I have a 16" Poulan model. Out of curiosity I took the bar off to see what kind of bar or sprocket it had. To my surprise it uses a small McCullough mount. The thing I like most about the saw is both how quiet it is and mine at least has a brake that engages the instant you let of the trigger. Its great as long as you have small stuff to cut up around the house. I have burried the bar in a 16" pine though and it had no issues with that. But like others have said, you won't win any speed contests with it.

Keep in mind an electric saw uses a motor not an engine and there is no clutch, so instead of bogging down when it is getting overworked, it just blows a breaker or blows the motor and sets the cord on fire :)
They feel like they have plenty of power all the time for the same reason a Tesla car goes 0-100 in 1.2 seconds, instant torque from the motor.
ALSO IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT CHAPS PROVIDE NO PROTECTION AGAINST AN ELECTRIC OR BATTERY POWERED CHAINSAW.
chaps work by shredding the tiny fibers inside the material and binding up the clutch instantly
an electric chainsaw eats through the chaps and your leg without mercy

always use safety chain with an electric chainsaw, they don't have the same antikickback protection as gas powered saws so they can hit you in the forehead in an instant and still be running full speed with your finger on the trigger

Where did you see that?I wached some videos on youtube about the P85D model which produce 700HP and weights almost 2 tons,it takes 3.6 sec for the 0-100.Such an acceleration,0-100 in 1.2 sec,could do some damage to the regular driver.The Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak on the other hand weights 875 kg(as per Peugeot Sport) and produce 875 HP.It can do a 0-100 in 1.8 sec,way much faster than the Tesla.If Tesla was at about 800 kg,it could do a better time than Peugeot's 1.8 sec.I mean that in cars,the main factor for the acceleration is the weight/hp ratio.

About that you are correct,the most important thing is the last part of your sentence.Electric tools in general are very dangerous.2 years ago i was working with a friend of mine,we were working on bathroom tiles,wall tiles etc.One day we were putting tiles on some concrete columns.He took the grinder to cut a little on one tile.Above us the owner of the house had some ropes hanging.My friend didn't note the ropes and as he was cutting suddenly the grinder grabbed a rope.The grinder left from his hands,flyed a few cm above his head and landed right behind him while he was trying to avoid it.The grinder started to smoking,from 13.000 rpm it was running at 3.000 because a piece of rope was in the grinding wheel but it didn't stop,it kept running until i pulled the plug.It could easily injury him.

Back