Homelite Old Blue SXL year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt93eg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy guys,

I bought a Homelite Old Blue SXL today. Judging by the serial number is this a 1984 model? The serial number is: HS0840084. UT number is 10045F.

It starts on first pull and seems to run ok for a while. Then kinda starts acting up like it’s not getting fuel. But unfortunately the piston is scored. I would have never thought so with how it runs. Fuel vent must be bad cause it was making a noise after I shut it off and the fuel blew out when I removed the fuel cap. Like a radiator if you pop cap when it’s hot. Almost like the fuel was boiling.

The auto Oiler works fine. So far I got the piston score issue although it runs and starts easy. The oil cap needs replaced and I’m going to check into the fuel vent. Here are some pics of the saw after I cleaned it up.

Also it has a zama carb. What’s the correct carb for these?

3E5C4F71-5BBF-45DE-9153-8CFEE856F0E6.jpeg 21133CC6-5029-4030-866B-858FEF517533.jpeg 5D6C5404-FCAA-45CB-9EC8-38746D054A3F.jpeg EC0C2798-95C1-422C-BF9D-588B125C60FC.jpeg 574297B2-8022-4EAB-AA9D-C62493AF9B57.jpeg A4442FE6-F1E1-4794-AFFC-79185D2B0963.jpeg A249878C-8165-457E-A89A-B75E03145C31.jpeg 78DDF7C4-8C83-47FA-9C87-A6E6B96EADF2.jpeg

Thanks for posting that Jason. Not as old a saw as I thought based on that. If I’m understanding it right then my saw is 1997.

Those were later models that were brought out to pay respect to the old Blue colored Homelite saws years ago. Not sure if there is any difference from the Red Super XL saws. I like to play around with the old originals. Great saws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used those old saws for years at the state highway dept I retired from. They shook your hands until numb, busted your eardrums and kept you in a cloud of 2 cycle smoke but were dependable as gravity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is something about the couple old saws I have ran that I really enjoy. Have not had this SXL in the wood obviously but very much enjoy running my Pro Mac 10-10 and the Homelite Super EZ has some balls for a 40cc saw and pulls 3/8 chain.

That`s a very nice example right there Matt93eg!

My father in law ran these Homelite saws from the first models on up until long after they were discontinued, he was a lifetime logger and went through dozens of them of every color scheme, he left what was left of them to me. I kept just one as it was a saw we both went together to pick up from the dealer, he would buy a new saw at least once a year back when, the one I have was bought in 1973, a blue and white one. It may have been made a few years before 73 as this dealer would order in 50 or more saws at a pop. He still had brand new ones when he retired back in 2000. The one I kept is in very good shape and still fires up easily, I must dig it out of the collection and look at the serial number, maybe I can decipher the year it was made. There are still plenty of these Homelites still cutting firewood for many homeowners in this area, tough old workhorses they are.

I pulled the Homelite out of the collection , top shelf saw so easier than a lot of them, ser # 10070270 so it does not correspond to the list Jason posted but this saw was made at Terry industries in Point Claire Quebec.

I pulled the Homelite out of the collection , top shelf saw so easier than a lot of them, ser # 10070270 so it does not correspond to the list Jason posted but this saw was made at Terry industries in Point Claire Quebec.

70th piece July 2'nd 1980. Assembly line 1. If I'm reading it correctly. Someone correct me if I'm not.

Homelite switched from blue to red paint on the Super XLs sometime in the early 1970's, so I think it would be a 1971, rather than a 1981. The Homelite-Terry saws may also use a different serial number code, but I'm not sure.

Homelite switched from blue to red paint on the Super XLs sometime in the early 1970's, so I think it would be a 1971, rather than a 1981. The Homelite-Terry saws may also use a different serial number code, but I'm not sure.

It was bought new in 1973 so more likely made in 1971, or so I would think, its a points condenser saw as well so makes it fairly older than the 1980`s saws which were mostly electronic by then.

It looks just like the saw below, this is a borrowed pict but mine is from the same era.

131339272_homelite-xl-12-chainsaw-with-20-bar-nice-ebay.jpg

So since mine is a 1997 is the Zama carb that is on it correct?

I have been out today after work tinkering with the saw. I think it has a carb issue/air leak. It starts no problem but it’s like it is constantly trying to load up and the idle hunts all over. It will be smoothly idling and then just get irratic. I took the carb off and blew it all out. Diaphram and all looked ok but might not be and it made no difference in how hot runs after I blew the carb out.

Took the brass plug out of the fuel cap to check that duckbill. During the process of removing the duckbill with a pick it went flying and I haven’t seen it since. After running it with duck bill out the tank didn’t build up pressure like it did yesterday but after it runs it get these weird bubbles in the fuel tank. This goes on 15 mins after I shut it off. I took a vid but says to large to post. At this point I’m not going to put anymore money into it until I research what all is happening. I want to be able to use it but don’t want to start throwing money at it and get no where.

That series of saws ran every type of carb over their production timeline, have seen Tillotson, Walbro and Zama carbs on them so your carb should work if its in good condition.

Thanks for the info pioneer. Y’all know a lot more about these saws than me. I just like running them and keeping them alive. They are part of history. I did type in my UT number on eBay and zama carb kits did come up.

I might put a fresh kit in the carb. The idle acts kinda like my Super ez did. Wild irratic idle and didn’t want to settle down the RPMs after Revving. I figured air leak but I put a kit in the carb and it has been fine ever since as far as that goes.

I will say that my Pro Mac 10-10 takes the sound award over the SXL. Mccullochs just have a unique sound that I haven’t heard on any other saw. I sure like listening to that 10-10 idle. But maybe I’m weird. :D

I do believe I have been servicing the XL12`s since the early 70`s, I still keep a few running for homeowner types in my area that are still cutting firewood with them each year, they are tough/durable old saws. I had so many of them end up at my place that it filled a scrap metal bin about 6 feet square by 4 feet high, they were mostly picked clean carcasses. Still have a pile of parts and a few donor saws I pirate parts from to keep old saws running for guys local to me. They are a big part of chainsaw history and its great to see some still running.

Mr. Pioneerguy:

When did Homelite switch over to from points to electronic ignition on the SXL's? Also, are there any companies that make aftermarket carbon fiber reeds for these saws? I have seen what happens to a high performance outboard when a reed petal breaks off and gets ingested. Wondering if CF reeds would help keep my old girl running long and strong.

Your saw was made in 1971, on the 007 day of the year, 270 saw built that day.

Back