Homelite Super XL Auto blue and white flywheel rubs against coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomas Caballero

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a freebie Homelite Super XL Automatic (not Ol' Blue). It's a beauty. Sort of. I'm converting it from points/condenser to either Atom or Kawasaki/Rotary electronic module as the points are badly corroded and won't separate off the lobe on the shaft. I put the flywheel back on and noticed that the flywheel magnets contact the coil. But the coil is fixed. No way to adjust the gap. I doubled checked the flywheel isn't on crooked or warped. I'm stumped. Is there a work around to gap the coil? The coil appears to be riveted onto a plate that holds the points/condenser assembly and the coil.

I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do it from my iPhone. Tom

That's it! Ok so how do I gap the flywheel and then tighten down the bolts with the flywheel on top? I may need to elongate the rear bolt hole a bit to get the gap at .015 as there isn't much play in the existing hole. But I think it will work. THANKS.

And what would be the correct gap with an electronic module installed? .010 or thereabouts? Never mind. It's stamped right on it. Doh!!! Dammit. The .015 stamped on it is for the points. I'm going to shoot for .008-.010 and see if I'm in business.

Use a business card or a strip of the clear plastic boxes that cakes/cookies come in I find the Nova 2 is the best of the "leccy" chips mounted in the coolest place inside the recoil cover.

Enlarged the rear hole to give some side clearance and worked a charm. Gapped it with a business card per Al suggestion. I am on a forced diet and no access to cookie plastic.

Thx for the help gentlemen.

Back