Homelite super xl automatic help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertBuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a Homelite in excellent condition but with the dreaded blue coil start for a few seconds and stop no spark. Is it possible forgive my ignorance to convert it to a universal ignition module to prevent the need to hunt down a expensive replacement? Or is there a suitable work around that I am not aware of.
The saw is a
Unit number 10525A
Serial number 302830200
With the problem part number A-49605-S

Have you removed the blue coil of death and checked the connections, wires for breaks or shorts, ground, cleaned the contacts & area for mounting?
Eliminate the easy things 1st.

There is no corrosion present. I did remove it and wiped it with a rag it's good and shiny in the contact points other than a little greasy. The individual who had it before me used the bar oil pump excessively in my opinion but it did cut down on the corrosion from what I can see. It's got a new plug the switch checks out. I'll give a thorough cleaning a try Though. Thank you for the quick reply

I didn;t know about this blue coil. I have a later model Super XL and had some pics of it when I cleaned it up so pulled up the pics and was glad to see a black coil.

Going to try the bake it method see if I can save it. Does anybody have a name for that stuff you coat it with to prevent it from absorbing moisture again?

Generally speaking, some coils are covered in a urethane (not very familiar with the blue Homelite coil). Wondering if you could just dip it in Helmsman Spar Urethane? Sounds crazy, but that stuff is no joke. Several dips/coats of that would be my route if you can actually recover it. Speaking of that, wonder if Plasti Dip would work? That'd be more flexible. Just trying to think outside the box...

And, now I need to go check my Homelites... :nofunny:

Well baking the coil in a toaster oven works like a champ. The old saw fired right up. And it runs good! I adjusted the carburetor by ear and tested it out. Our new neighbors we're out on their porch and the old saw with its loud distinctive sound and accompanying cloud of smoke caught their attention.

Good news! Also good to know for future reference if I come across this - thanks for the follow up. Going to try and seal it up with something, or just keep on keepin' on?

I've never heard of baking an ignition coil... is this some kind of permanent fix?

How do i explain to my wife that I'm baking a chainsaw part?

Good news! Also good to know for future reference if I come across this - thanks for the follow up. Going to try and seal it up with something, or just keep on keepin' on?

No problem. I'm going to leave it as is for now. See how long it lasts.

I've never heard of baking an ignition coil... is this some kind of permanent fix?

Never really heard of the method myself till I found it looking around here. I have a convection toaster oven devoted for baking powder coated bullets I had at my disposal I would have never attempted this in the house oven. Also if it wasn't a confection I would never have attempted this either for the fear of hotspots possibly melting the coil. The lowest setting I have on this particular toaster oven is 200° and that was pushing my comfort zone but it worked fine. And apparently this particular coil the blue Wico/Prestolite electronic ignition coil is notorious for this issue. Moisture somehow finds its way in there overtime. And baking it simply removes that moisture.

Buy a food dehydrator. Dehydrate the coil and return the dehydrator the next day. Lol

Tried posting with my phone, didn't work too well I see.
I had said: Buy a dehydrator, dehydrate the coil and return the dehydrator the next day. :numberone::givebeer:

I've seen various posts on various sites talking about coil baking (not just Homelite). Have read varying degrees of success as well. Sometimes it lasts years, sometimes days.

Link above to Leons talks about this.

There are also posts about spinning the mag with a drill at high(ish) RPM to help bring back coils whose internal signaling has gone wonky for some reason.

Various opinions on why it works, moisture seems to be a common theory - per Toms comment, I would be interested to see what a dehydrator did vs oven. Could also be there is something in the coil that "reflows" when heated. I know this is a common fix for electronics/circuit boards with bad solder joints, however reflowing solder I think calls for higher heat (3-400 degrees).

To me baking a coil to fix it is counterintuitive since my entire life I experienced failing coils that would stop working once they reached a certain temperature. At that point the only recourse was to replace it.

Now I'm curious about "drying out" a bad coil.

To me baking a coil to fix it is counterintuitive since my entire life I experienced failing coils that would stop working once they reached a certain temperature. At that point the only recourse was to replace it.

Now I'm curious about "drying out" a bad coil.
I edited my post from earlier.

Latest posts

Back