• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Homelite Super XL Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrAzY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Homelite super xl auto i picked up because my father and i grew up using one to get firewood for years and years and i had fond memories of the saw and wanted to use it again. The guy i got it from said it run before he put it away ( like everyone says of course lol ) but couldn't get it started when i was there and said it was mostly stored most of it's life in the garage, So like a idiot i figured it just needed some TLC and picked it up anyway. I am not a chainsaw engine expert by any means so i took it to my local home depot service department because we have no small engine specialty places where i live and they were the only ones that would look at it for me. To make a long story short it had no spark and of course had the blue coil of death in it lol so replaced that and now it has spark but he said the only way to get it to start and run is to spray starting fluid/ether into the carb because it isn't getting any fuel but has good compression and his words not mine said it run like a raped ape lol ( for the few seconds it run with sprays lol )

So he recommended a new carb and quoted me hundreds of dollars and i said why not take it apart first to see if it just needed cleaned out? So he did and later said the diaphragm inside is hard as a rock and is not pliable and thinks this is why it isn't getting gas, So he searched for a carb rebuild kit for it and i found tons all over the internet but NOT for the specific model number of carb my saw has he said so basically they washed their hands of it and didn't charge me anything because they didn't technically fix it even though labor was done to replace solid state
coil.
I would rather just get rid of it then try hunting all over for the correct carb kit for it and trying to find someone willing to do it for me and maybe someone experienced in these saws can find one or has one laying on a shelf.
The saw is in excellent shape otherwise i haven't seen one that looks this good cosmetically it looks like it was hardly ever used and was just stored like previous owner said. It also has a rare original Homelite 24" bar at least i was told that this was not a common size and was rare? I don't even know what to ask for it i just know i have seen alot of these for sale and not look as good as this one so make me fair offer and hopefully someone can give it the love it deserves. I think based on model number it is from aroun d1982-1984? Not sure.

IMG_20200223_102527.jpg IMG_20200223_102527.jpg IMG_20200223_102535.jpg IMG_20200223_102550.jpg IMG_20200223_102550.jpg IMG_20200223_102603.jpg IMG_20200223_102613.jpg IMG_20200223_102750.jpg

Back