Homelite Super XL Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Reaction score
20171214_185315.jpg 20171214_185300.jpg Just purchased this guy. All OEM, compression is 150, P&C look perfect, fires right up, bar is new, chain made 2 cuts from looks, and all paint and stickering looks great. Really clean.

Homelite collectors Id like to know more about it. Average value in this condition, what CC, HP, class (economy, farm use, pro), advertised use, etc.

And if we need a oil mix fight I'm running 50:1 Stihl HP Ultra with premium gas in it. Lol

The XL`s are considered collectors saws for the most part, nice examples will fetch $75. - $100. but common used ones are free to around $25. in running condition. I was given a truck load of them that are most likely destined for the scrap metal bin, the older points saws would run with some work but the newer ones all need coils/modules. I only know of two people of all the hundreds I know of that are still running XL`s as their firewood saws.

The XL`s are considered collectors saws for the most part, nice examples will fetch $75. - $100. but common used ones are free to around $25. in running condition. I was given a truck load of them that are most likely destined for the scrap metal bin, the older points saws would run with some work but the newer ones all need coils/modules. I only know of two people of all the hundreds I know of that are still running XL`s as their firewood saws.

I bought by looks and condition. I always thought they were cool looking little saws. Please don't throw any runners away. Wouldn't mind a few to play and learn with. PM before the scrap bin.

I bought by looks and condition. I always thought they were cool looking little saws. Please don't throw any runners away. Wouldn't mind a few to play and learn with. PM before the scrap bin.

That is a nice looking example so it would bring the upper $ amounts. The ones with all or most of the paint worn off the rear handles are not worth much these days. Good solid old saws but next to no one in the real world of chainsawing wants to run them, noisy, no AV and fairly difficult to find new parts for them so they just collect at all the repair shops I know of. I will keep just two of them, one was my FIL`s and the other is a fine example of a very low hour saw, all original with the original OEM bar and unsharpened chain. I know that over the years we have tossed dozens if not double that number into the scrap bin. They are not worth the cost of shipping, just too common model of saw.

Jerry is right on. Just a warning to those who are less familiar with "newer" old Homelites. The blue coil of death will get you every time. I was given a SXL that supposedly had carb problems. Fixed that and didn't check for spark until it was back together but no spark. Found a used blue coil from a reputable member. Put that in, saw ran once and the coil died. Parted out the saw. Never again!!!

If I had a saw as pretty as the OP I would spring the 60 bucks for a new coil though!

W
That is a nice looking example so it would bring the upper $ amounts. The ones with all or most of the paint worn off the rear handles are not worth much these days. Good solid old saws but next to no one in the real world of chainsawing wants to run them, noisy, no AV and fairly difficult to find new parts for them so they just collect at all the repair shops I know of. I will keep just two of them, one was my FIL`s and the other is a fine example of a very low hour saw, all original with the original OEM bar and unsharpened chain. I know that over the years we have tossed dozens if not double that number into the scrap bin. They are not worth the cost of shipping, just too common model of saw.

Well I'm only 37 yrs old. So maybe someday it will be something special. My guess is it's as old as me?

Jerry is right on. Just a warning to those who are less familiar with "newer" old Homelites. The blue coil of death will get you every time. I was given a SXL that supposedly had carb problems. Fixed that and didn't check for spark until it was back together but no spark. Found a used blue coil from a reputable member. Put that in, saw ran once and the coil died. Parted out the saw. Never again!!!

If I had a saw as pretty as the OP I would spring the 60 bucks for a new coil though!

I ain't in the shop now to look, if the coil is colored blue? What am I looking for?

There are aftermarket modules out there now for the XL`s, they are still in the $50 - $60 range plus shipping so unless the saw is near pristine or it holds sentimental value then its not really worth the time and money to fix them. The old Prestolite modules are just that, old, and they are failing at an even faster rate, even buying an old OEM one is a gamble to how long it would last.

Folks converted a different coil as well, didn't they? IIRC from a 55 Husky? But that takes fabrication and it is still a crapshoot to get timing to be kinda sorta on par.

Blue coil means it is electronic ignition. Black coil means points ignition.

Don't pull the panic lever if it is a blue coil saw. With that little use it may last for a while yet.
It will see little use. Basically a shelf saw that gets maintenance ran. But can't stand something not right. I'll check it

Overly optimistic seller with a blue module for sale,

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-IGNITIO...PER-XL12-auto-SXLAO-W1/391920533422?hash=item

s-l225.jpg

@pioneerguy600 do we know if these coils fail due to heat or time? Or both?

Probably both but time seems to be the most destructive, many of us believe its moisture that takes them out faster. The old trick of putting them in an oven and heating them for a few hours works sometimes but not always and no guarantee on how long they will last afterward.

Probably both but time seems to be the most destructive, many of us believe its moisture that takes them out faster. The old trick of putting them in an oven and heating them for a few hours works sometimes but not always and no guarantee on how long they will last afterward.
Lol. Sometimes you can break a alternator loose by bouncing it on the floor. No joke we've done it at work. It does break them free. Not advised

Latest posts

Back