Homelite Super XL925 wont run off choke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFPerformance86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a xl925 off clist to add to my collection of older saws. It was locked up when I bought it. The rod cap screws came loose and the bearings fell out and locked her up. New rod bearings and piston and a cylinder hone and its moving again. I took the carb apart and the diaphragm was as hard as a rock. Picked up a rebuild kit for the Tillotson HS151b carb. It needs some help starting with some spray and it will barly run off choke. Then it wont restart after that without some more spay. I took the carb back apart and rechecked everything. I dont see anything that looks wrong. The carb was not dirty to begin with. I had some other work and didnt have time to mess with it more. Any ideas. Can the reed valves cause this kind of issue? Just seems like its not getting fuel. The fuel lines are new and the carb has fuel on the inside.

I'm kind of having a similar issue. Got a SXL that'll fire up, good throttle response but after a few seconds it just runs down and dies. I'm thinking it needs a carb rebuild. I pulled a 40 year old fuel filter out of it.
What is a good compression on these, about 120?

That hs151b is a different animal, as it has an auxiliary fuel feed drilled in the metering chamber brass plug.

I’d take the carb back off & look through the main nozzle & that extra feed orifice to be certain that both are clear of any debris. It also has a check ball & spring overspeed governor.

Search for an old thread by modifiedmark with “dang mad” in the title. Mark’s issue was just the opposite, with over fueling, but the dual feed operation is worth a read.

The Stihl 056 Magnums ran a Walbro WJ-4 carb with the same auxiliary fixed jet setup, it supposedly keeps the Hi speed needle tuners from lean burning their pistons & cylinders.
The high speed needle is normally operated at zero to a 1/4 turn out CCW from fully front seated.

I was reading up on the 151b. I did check the overspeed governer and all jets are clear and clean. Carb was really clean when I 1st took it apart

Ok, I’d do the basic checks again; fuel filter flow, fuel line pin holes & kinks, carb inlet 90 blockage, midget screen, needle metering level and squeaky clean jets.

If you performed the final assembly case vacuum & pressure tests & they were good, then it’s got to be fuel delivery.

If no testing, then good luck with the repair.

Randy i havent had a chance to mess with it. Been busy at work. This weekend i should have time. Im also not motivated when its cold and my garage has no heat haha

Latest posts

Back