Homelite Timberman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Sawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a first-time buyer looking for a saw I can use four times a year at most for cutting up to 18-in. pine and fir, but mostly smaller stuff. A big box store has a Homelite Timberman (2.7 cu, 18-in. bar) for $159 incl. case, about half the price of a similarly sized Stihl or Husqvarna. Is this a good deal or should I look elsewhere?

Its a great deal for the size of saw, but since you get what you pay for, I wouldn't recommend it. Its not a very good saw. Luckly John Deere owns them so they probably wont go out of business. Look at the former items that have been in the box stores. McCulloch and Ryobi, both of which filed bankruptcy. Its because of shotty equipment. Cheap machines are what they are.

With chain saws, as with nearly everything else, you get what you pay for. Whatever you decide to buy, if you're only using it four times a year be sure to either use a fuel stabilizer (personally, I don't think they work) or drain all the fuel out and run the saw dry to empty all the fuel lines and carb before putting it up for more than a couple of weeks. The fuel mix gets gummy and clogs everything up if it gets too old.

I just got done watching my brother in law cut a few branches off a maple with that same saw and I cant believe Homelite's name is on that saw. The chain was sharp and it still took what seemed like three hours to cut through an 8 inch limb. It was like watching your favorite sports hero get old and stumble around the field. I went home and cried then started my Husky just to hear it and so I wouldnt have nightmares.

Not Buying It

Thanks for the great advice, gentlemen. I'll be passing on the Homelite and getting a Stihl or Husky. My self-imposed limit is $300. Any suggestions?

The Husky 55 is awesome. You will probably be happy with a 351 or 350 as well since you will not be using it very often. The 55 is definitely the toughest but whichever one you can get the best deal on at the time should make you happy.

Husky prices

Thanks for your suggestions. It seems, though, that Husky prices in California may be higher than elsewhere. For example, the 351 is going for $400, the 55 for $359 with a 20-inch bar, the 350 for $300 and the 141 for $219. California leads the world in over-regulating gas engines, so I'm wondering if these prices are typical in other states.

There are a lot of good deals on the net. Ebay often has brand new saws in the box. A good price for a 351 or 55 is slightly more than $300. A 350 should be about $250.

Back