Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_A_Grunt_1978

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am about to start a project on an old saw that my dad and uncle chucked back in the barn 20 plus years ago. As a starting point, I think I need to address a couple issues. One, what should the compression be on the saw. Two, the reason the saw got parked, was the head bolts were vibrating loose. Is that a common problem with these saws and what can be done to solve that. Also, the saw in question (which is red) came with a blue parts saw which I think is an xl-102... it seems to be an earlier model of the same saw but its missing the pull cord. It does seem to have compression though. Anyway. some hot tips on dealing with these problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hey Welcome in---I Don't have any time with xl 102 or 03. I would take the one with best compression and start with it.Clean oil and fuel tanks,install new lines and carb kit. Check for spark before you do much to it. Been wanting 1 since I read they are sorta hot rod saws-compression release and good power to weight ratio. Does yours have a compression release???--David--Go to vintage collectors lounge on this sight and meet the crew!!

The XL101, XL102, XL103, and the XL104 all came out at the same time. Each number higher had more upgrades.

As for bolts vibrating loose, use loctite. That saw will probably need a new cylinder gasket because of loose bolts.

The 123 was the best of that whole series I've got a 101 102 103 113 122 123 and a,123vi they are,all good little saws you shouldn't have,much trouble getting them to go if you need parts,I'm sure I've got some I've got a couple in boxes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0827161658-02.jpg Blue loctite-------------------------------- not red. See you are looking at the homelite xl-12 saws in want ads--good choice of well made saws. Maybe my favorite to run with a bow on it. I like all the old ones!!!! David

Those saws do have two different piston sleeve sizes so if you have a small sleeve case you need to find a small sleeve cylinder.

well the one saw seems to have compression when you pull the cord. I haven't got the fly wheel back on the other one yet to test it. I was just curious what a good compression number for a saw like that would be. If it has good compression, obviously I won't be worried about rebuilding the cylinder assembly. Does anybody know what the compression should be for one of these saws?

Back