Homelite XL-12 any good/Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavs4x4

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a new to me Husky 61 off craiglist and the guy mentioned he had a Homelite xl-12 as well, he might be interested in selling. I passed on the saw because I wanted to do a little research before I bought it.

Got the specs off the Acres site but wanted to get some opinions on these saws. Any good? Are they worth anything?

Thanks,

Frank

Just purchased a new to me Husky 61 off craiglist and the guy mentioned he had a Homelite xl-12 as well, he might be interested in selling. I passed on the saw because I wanted to do a little research before I bought it.

Got the specs off the Acres site but wanted to get some opinions on these saws. Any good? Are they worth anything?

Thanks,

Frank

They're a good old saw, but it all depends on what he wants for it, and the saws condition.

Look on eBay for a comp of what they're selling for.

I've got 5 or 6 of them. Easy to work on, lots of parts available. Two versions were made, XL-12 and Super XL. The XL-12 had 54cc and manual oiler, Super XL had 58cc and both manual and automatic oiling. Came in two colors, older XL-12s were normally blue and white and the later runs of that saw were red. Same with the Super XLs, I have 1 blue and 2 red ones.
Paid $20 for a runner with a parts saw, fuel line fixed that one, so two for $20, here they are before repair.
IMG00011-20100207-1054.jpg

Seen some on ebay go over $100 if its in good condition, normally around $50 for an average saw in used running condition.
My keepers
IMG00620.jpg

Randy

Thanks,

Frank

Frank, you passed on one of the GREATEST Saws ever built. Man, go get it! Don't wait, it may be :censored: gone by the time ya get there.

:givebeer:

Well I will give the guy a call in the morning. So $20 sounds like it would be a good deal if it has good compression and spark?

I like the looks of the blue ones. Nice saws Watsonr!

20.00 bucks for a classic is a good deal even if ya have to wrench on it for a day or two. These are great old saws, mind you, I would'nt want to run one for eight or ten hours a day in production. Anti vibe, what the :censored: is that?

My pa in law has five XL-12, SXL runners, had six till I blew one to smithereens one day.

He still talks about my family six or seven generations back. Go get it, you won't be sorry.

:givebeer:

I got five XL 12s a few days ago for thirty bucks. I had one of them running within a few hours. Two looked worth fixing, three for parts. The most promising one, a SXL auto had a scored piston.:cry: I may still try to fix it. Great tools IMO, of course I like magnesium. :cheers:

Made the deal $20 bucks and it is the blue model. The gentlmen's wife is going to bring it by my work tommorow. I will have some pics then.

Thanks guys,

You got a deal there, I ran my XL 12 for a while today, great running saw...but it hurts my thumb pushing the oiler...just a matter of getting used to it I'm sure. Mine is a mutt...most of it is a blue one but the rear handle and air box came from a SXL...better reed valves...the four petal type. Enjoy that classic.

attachment.php

You got a deal there, I ran my XL 12 for a while today, great running saw...but it hurts my thumb pushing the oiler...just a matter of getting used to it I'm sure. Mine is a mutt...most of it is a blue one but the rear handle and air box came from a SXL...better reed valves...the four petal type. Enjoy that classic.

attachment.php

Looking at the muffler on the xl12 are you searching for a replacement yet ?
I have a auto matic oiler for them but that part is not cheap
and 1 brand new side bar cover

Last edited:
Looking at the muffler on the xl12 are you searching for a replacement yet ?
I have a auto matic oiler for them but that part is not cheap
and 1 brand new side bar cover

Thanks but no, I have several for parts, I even have an automatic oiler. Thanks again.

Well the saw just arrived! Looks decent, havent really been able to check it out to much because I supposed to be working. Does have some duct tape on lower part of handle but it didnt feel cracked. Will give it a thorough going over tonight.

Here are the pics....

homelitexl12.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

homelitexl122.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have a ''red'' rear handle for that saw. If your interested PM.

I'm not 100% sure about all the red handles being this way but some have a different reed valve setup, so you would have to have all the related parts for a switch.

You did good.
You will love that saw.
Tighten the chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:greenchainsaw:

Back