Homelite XL-12 any good/Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I hope to get out to the garage and clean her up and see what we got. Fuel line is toast and carb looks dirty. Just did a quick once over but it does have compression and seems to be complete. I will keep you posted.

Saw #7 and counting!!!:greenchainsaw:

Got home last night and was able to sneak out to the garage. The old saw has spark and I got it to pop pouring mix down the carb. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks decent. Very very light scoring but I think I should be ok.
homeltiepiston.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fuels lines are toast feel like sticky gum. The carb looks got but mostly likley will need a kit.
homelitecarb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can anbody tell what year the saw is? I plan to clean it up this weekend and see what parts I'm going to need. I think i can get by with a carb kit and new fuel line and filter.
homeliteid.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Man those pics are too big...by the looks of the air box and the saw dust poisoning on the piston I'd say the air filter's not sealing up good.

All those parts you need are readily available. Calvin may have them or they're all over ebay. I don't know how to date them exactly.I know the blue ones are older than the red ones. I actually have one of each, the blue ones are from the sixties but I don't know when the color changed.
Whatever color , they are great old saws, I love mine. Surprising amount of power too.

ENJOY.....:clap::clap::clap:

All those parts you need are readily available. Calvin may have them or they're all over ebay. I don't know how to date them exactly.I know the blue ones are older than the red ones. I actually have one of each, the blue ones are from the sixties but I don't know when the color changed.
Whatever color , they are great old saws, I love mine. Surprising amount of power too.

Yes i do have them

Sweet!

Calvin can hook you up with just bout anything you need for that saw.

Dude,

Resize them pictures to about 800 x 600.

:clap:

Sorry bout the pics guys the first couple seemed to come out good not sure what happened to the others. Maybe a dumb question but where do I resize them? I'm using imageshack to host them.

Got home last night and was able to sneak out to the garage. The old saw has spark and I got it to pop pouring mix down the carb. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks decent. Very very light scoring but I think I should be ok.
homeltiepiston.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fuels lines are toast feel like sticky gum. The carb looks got but mostly likley will need a kit.
homelitecarb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can anbody tell what year the saw is? I plan to clean it up this weekend and see what parts I'm going to need. I think i can get by with a carb kit and new fuel line and filter.
homeliteid.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

just a lil fyi get on lilredbarn thats where i got my parts affordable and fast chippiing

age of your homelite.

I found this on another site. I just picked up my first XL 12 this weekend. Its an 1981 blue runs great .... $25 what a deal!!!

The following information should answer most of your questions regarding serial
numbers and how to read them.
EXAMPLE: Serial number: 4G1521238
"4" - This number specifies the assembly line the unit was built on. This could also be
represented by a letter.
"G" - This letter specifies the year of final assembly. (See letter codes below). Before
a letter was used to specify the year, a number was used. (See numeric code below).
"152" - The next 3 numbers specify the calendar day of the year (day 152).
"1238" - This was the 1,238th unit built that day.
"G152" - These 4 digits make up the LOT NUMBER.
LETTER CODE FOR YEARS:
C-1981 D-1982 E-1983 F-1984 G-1985 H-1986 I-1987 J-1988
K-1989 L-1990 M-1991 N-1992 O-1993 P-1994 Q-1995 R-1996
S-1997 T-1998 U-1999 V-2000 W-2001 X-2002 Y-2003 Z-2004
PREVIOUS NUMERIC CODE:
2-1972 3-1973 4-1974 5-1975 6-1976 7-1977 8-1978
9-1979 0-1980 1-1981
Prior to the 9-digit serial number now being used, an 8-digit number was used. The
8-digit number reads the same as the 9-digit number except the assembly line
designation was not used.
Peery Gibson Service Manager Forestry Products

Didn't the color change 70? or 72? I think.

I found this on another site. I just picked up my first XL 12 this weekend. Its an 1981 blue runs great .... $25 what a deal!!!

If your saw is blue it was built earlier than 1981, maybe 1971?

Didn't the color change 70? or 72? I think.

Not sure what year they went from blue to red but my 74 model is red.

If your saw is blue it was built earlier than 1981, maybe 1971?

If your saw is blue and white it was built earlier than 1981. They made some all blue SXL [with black airbox covers] saws toward the end. Had Old Blue or Limited Edition graphics on them

Great info on Homelite, especially on the XL-12. I have an old XL-12, that looks like has all the parts except for the manual oiler, where the bolt show in the pic. The lines are all there but the plunger assembly is missing. Checked on Ebay, but any available is missing the jamb fitting. Anyone help me out!upload_2015-1-29_12-7-9.jpeg

Great info on Homelite, especially on the XL-12. I have an old XL-12, that looks like has all the parts except for the manual oiler, where the bolt show in the pic. The lines are all there but the plunger assembly is missing. Checked on Ebay, but any available is missing the jamb fitting. Anyone help me out!View attachment 399116
I think I have a new one. I will PM you. jim

age of your homelite.

The following information should answer most of your questions regarding serial
numbers and how to read them.
EXAMPLE: Serial number: 4G1521238
"4" - This number specifies the assembly line the unit was built on. This could also be
represented by a letter.
"G" - This letter specifies the year of final assembly. (See letter codes below). Before
a letter was used to specify the year, a number was used. (See numeric code below).
"152" - The next 3 numbers specify the calendar day of the year (day 152).
"1238" - This was the 1,238th unit built that day.
"G152" - These 4 digits make up the LOT NUMBER.
LETTER CODE FOR YEARS:
C-1981 D-1982 E-1983 F-1984 G-1985 H-1986 I-1987 J-1988
K-1989 L-1990 M-1991 N-1992 O-1993 P-1994 Q-1995 R-1996
S-1997 T-1998 U-1999 V-2000 W-2001 X-2002 Y-2003 Z-2004
PREVIOUS NUMERIC CODE:
2-1972 3-1973 4-1974 5-1975 6-1976 7-1977 8-1978
9-1979 0-1980 1-1981
Prior to the 9-digit serial number now being used, an 8-digit number was used. The
8-digit number reads the same as the 9-digit number except the assembly line
designation was not used.
Peery Gibson Service Manager Forestry Products
Help me out! Can't figure out the serial number meaning for my Homelite XL-12. Type 10490 S/N T7702015. Based on the information there is no 770 calendar day of the year, so I'm very confused.

Attachments

• Resized_100_4730.JPG
    Resized_100_4730.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 10
Help me out! Can't figure out the serial number meaning for my Homelite XL-12. Type 10490 S/N T7702015. Based on the information there is no 770 calendar day of the year, so I'm very confused.

I'm not sure in the case of your saw. Perhaps the decoder above only works for US built saws (I noticed yours was Canadian built). In addition, the date codes mentioned above would suggest that T is 1998, however, I don't think XL-12 s were built that late. Further evidence that the decoder may not be applicable to your saw.

Attached below is a copy of the TSB that contained the Homelite year of manufacturing information that is mentioned above...

Attachments

• Homelite memo for year of manufacture.jpg
    Homelite memo for year of manufacture.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21
Thanks and I agree. Doubt very much if the saw was built in 1998. For one thing, doubt a 1998 would still have point ignition. You could be right and the Canadian made saw, but no sure where to find the information then.

Back