Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_A_Grunt_1978

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a Homelite xl -800. Its a runner, I brought it home put gas in it and fired it right up. However, I poured oil in the tank and goosed it up and no oil comes out the weep hole. This was one of the earlier 800's that has an auto oiler only. Its not even drilled for the manual pump. So, any tips on how to test the oil pump to see if something is stopped up before having to take it off? Best I can tell, this saw uses the same pump as the 925, so any expertise on that saw should be applicable here. thanks!

Just found this thread that says you have an automatic oiler only on the 800. All my parts list for the 800 shows both automatic and manual. The manual oiler attaches to the right side of the carb chamber oblong. There should be some holes on that side to attach the manual oiler. But there has been so many changes to that saw it doesn't look like a 800.
[email protected]

There were actually automatic oiler only xl 800s. From the research I can do the were the earlier ones. The later ones have an AM serial number that indicates a Automatic and Manual oiler. The Leon's Chainsaw shop guy on youtube does a video on one. Unfortunately he never gave a walk through on the auto oiler repair ..

Nope, I haven't made a video on that...they usually don't go bad! There's really only a couple of things that could be going on.

I'd check the oil pickup to make sure the hose & filter are still there. This parts manual will serve your saw well (just ignore the manual oiler portion): https://www.leonschainsawpartsandre...37/homelite_xl-800am_chainsaw_ipl_24056_2.pdf Check out page 3 and the parts associated with item #61. It should be easy enough to get to, but be careful...if you have a full tank of oil, you'll have a mess if the saw isn't sitting on it's nose!

The other option is the oil pump has seized from sitting for years. You can remove it and disassemble for cleaning. Again on page 3, item #43 is a bronze race that can seize to the steel plunger. Lube it up good and the pump should spin over easily. You can even bench test the pump by hand to make sure oil will pump. Obviously this is also a good time to make sure the pump gear and the worm gear aren't in bad shape.

Just picked up a Homelite xl -800. Its a runner, I brought it home put gas in it and fired it right up. However, I poured oil in the tank and goosed it up and no oil comes out the weep hole. This was one of the earlier 800's that has an auto oiler only. Its not even drilled for the manual pump. So, any tips on how to test the oil pump to see if something is stopped up before having to take it off? Best I can tell, this saw uses the same pump as the 925, so any expertise on that saw should be applicable here. thanks!
I've got an oil pump if ya need it

Dunno, I need to finish my xl auto project first. While I have the expert on the thread, for a super xl automatic are the crank seals the same on both sides? I've ordered a set and they just look too small to me for the Flywheel side.

Latest posts

Back