Homelite XL 925 issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey66

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I’ve got a 925 with very low hours and is in great shape overall. My problem is I start it and it runs like a scolded dog and will make a half dozen cuts thru a log and then a just dies off. It will start back but slowly die out again until you cant start it. Let it sit an hour or two and it starts the process all over again. New carb and fuel lines installed and truly cuts amazingly when you first start it. Would this be an over heating issues for some reason maybe? Thanks for any help. Love the saw, hate the frustration

So I’ve got a 925 with very low hours and is in great shape overall. My problem is I start it and it runs like a scolded dog and will make a half dozen cuts thru a log and then a just dies off. It will start back but slowly die out again until you cant start it. Let it sit an hour or two and it starts the process all over again. New carb and fuel lines installed and truly cuts amazingly when you first start it. Would this be an over heating issues for some reason maybe? Thanks for any help. Love the saw, hate the frustration
@HarleyT

" My problem is I start it and it runs like a scolded dog and will make a half dozen cuts thru a log and then a just dies off. It will start back but slowly die out again until you cant start it. Let it sit an hour or two and it starts the process all over again."

I would take a peek at the piston. I have seen those old Homelites run like that, and the compression feel great, only to find a badly scarred piston. I was trying to sell one, took pics of it with the compression gauge on it, Then I wanted to put up a pic or two of the piston, and it looked real bad.
Rings just not pinned down yet.

Did you change the fuel filter with teh lines? I had the same problem with a homey 240,,, fuel filter, and careful carb adjust after the new kit was installed.... IIRC I reset the metering lever...
Yes new fuel filter with the lines.

Likely EBay unless a forum member has some used saw parts . Have you inspected the spark as lone wolf suggested to verify coil issues ? Secondary causation can be a simple vapour lock situation , if the vent line is pinched or obstructed . Remove gas cap when it begins to die to confirm . Also a restriction within the inlet needle valve area under the diaphram of the carb can cause this symtom . Quite often there is a small prefilter screen that becomes plugged over time restricting fuel flow . ;) P.S. The chainsawr site may have a NOS. coil , if that is req'd and Rick is still answering ! :oops:

Update*** So I get the numbskull award I guess. And thank you to whoever suggested the vent plugged in the fuel cap. Swapped caps from another saw (scientific approach) and walah. Duh... sometimes it’s just that simple. I haven’t had this saw long and only knew it came from an older ex-tree guy that took extremely good care of his saws. I’ve run several Stihl 440s etc and this thing has no problem hanging with those. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I got lucky.... this time.

Update*** So I get the numbskull award I guess. And thank you to whoever suggested the vent plugged in the fuel cap. Swapped caps from another saw (scientific approach) and walah. Duh... sometimes it’s just that simple. I haven’t had this saw long and only knew it came from an older ex-tree guy that took extremely good care of his saws. I’ve run several Stihl 440s etc and this thing has no problem hanging with those. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I got lucky.... this time.
Yep. , the kiss protocols often are the most effective. ;)

Latest posts

Back