Homelite xl electric conversion take two

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been using my Homelite XL that I converted to electric, thought I would post results about what you can expect from a similar sized electric saw. Packs used were two five amp hour 3 cell lithium, 25.4 v together with a full charge.
The setup has changed a bit, I'm now using a different speed controller with more conservative settings which brought the RPM down. This gives me a bit more run time. Over 100 different parameters to choose from in the controller, I opted for a medium power setup with maximum electronic braking.
Performance results- a medium sized pine was completely limbed with less then half the power of the 5 amp power pack. You can see the car trailer stacked high with the branches.
51 cuts of the pyramidal cedar with an average of 4-in diameter, 36% battery left. Don't count the big chunk of pine, it's just a stop.
7 in diameter very hard Ash cut in the video, a new Stihl PS chain was used for that, all the rest was semi chisel Oregon. I wondered why the PS chain was chattering so much, then I found out the kid who made up the chain for me left off a tooth. Back it goes, don't let some green kid serve you.
Where this saw really shines is for climbing work and limbing, so light and maneuverable. Drawing the equivalent of 2 HP at max load, and 7 lbs all up with oil, ready to cut.

IMG_20210405_173432_01.jpgIMG_20210411_171338.jpgIMG_20210411_170932.jpg

Boy that cuts better than stock!

BTW if your chain is a 53 DL loop, it’s always going to have one missing tooth...chains with odd DL count will have one missing tooth. Your chattering will probably go away after a sharpening or two.

Yup, odd count links always miss one, but this is 48 dl. 3 inch gap between those two teeth, really miserable to cut with when you're doing small stuff or start applying hard pressure. Because of the low tooth count it means there's about a 9% difference between the number of teeth on one side versus the other, which means your chain's not going to cut perfectly straight either. I mean really, what kind of dope does something like this?IMG_20210411_195137.jpg

A dope in a hurry or one who doesn’t know better.

Still I’m not sure that one missing cutter would make that much of a different. Guys shear cutters off by hitting stuff and run the chain till it’s gone.

Not much of a difference when you're cutting big wood and you have all those teeth in the wood at the same time, but let me tell you, you really feel it when that gap drops into something or your putting pressure on the bar. There is a major difference in vibration between this chain and my old chain with all the teeth, so since I normally find the full chisel chains cut smoother, I was really surprised at how bad it was. And because the chain is the only source of vibration on this saw, you notice it right away.
If you've never cut with a saw that has quarter inch pitch you'd be amazed at how smooth it is. Closely spaced teeth make a big difference in felt vibration.

Back