Homemade Box-Wedge Log Splitter Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it , the cycle time seems a little slow , if that could be sped up it would be a real producer
Yeah, I agree. I've put a few "normal" size logs through it and it goes much faster. I'm surprised that little 4" cylinder and 6.5hp engine even pushes oak through 6 wedges. lol None of the wedges are starting at the same time, makes a big difference.

Later on I may put a bigger engine and pump on it, but that means I have to stack quicker. lol

Makes nice size splits. Watched the second video also. Obviously it would be much better on chunking up 18" rounds.
I've said before, I should have spent the extra money and chosen the TW-7 box wedge over the TW-6. I do not think they offer the 7 any longer. Price probably killed it, as the idea seems sound. It lacked the auto return bar you added, to capture the round and pull it back to the beam.

Makes nice size splits. Watched the second video also. Obviously it would be much better on chunking up 18" rounds.
I've said before, I should have spent the extra money and chosen the TW-7 box wedge over the TW-6. I do not think they offer the 7 any longer. Price probably killed it, as the idea seems sound. It lacked the auto return bar you added, to capture the round and pull it back to the beam.

I always thought the commercial box-wedge designs that I've seen made more kindling sized splits than what I wanted. This makes squares up to ~5" if they go through fairly straight. The bigger size helps for longer burns in the wood stove.

I think a lot of people buying wood want it kindling size about 2x4 size splits

while people serious about heating with wood want the biggest piece they can grab one handed so about like a 4x6 maybe 4x8

problem is it has been such a mild winter I find I am doing more start up fires than long burns so I am using up my smaller spit stuff faster than my larger splits

it was colder the other night about 20 I loaded the stove full , I about cooked myself out , the wife mentioned it was a little warm and took the blanket off while sitting in the living room about 10 feet from the stove , it was 80 on the thermostat just around the corner from the stove in the dining room probably more like 85 in the living room with the stove.

I could see having a horizontal/vertical splitter to break up the big rounds and deal with the knots and then a horazontal only with a box wedge and a 25 or 30 ton ram and 10 hp engine for faster production.

but I am just getting started in selling some on the side , my son is 13 and asks for money I tell him go split a cord and sell it you can have all the money, so far that hasn't gotten a lot of wood split and none sold but I have hopes.

he splits for me but so far has not gotten up the ambition to split for himself.

I like it but as stated, cycle time is a bit slow for me. I do appreciate you tossing a big old round of Oak up there though instead of a nice easy piece of Ash. I wish the manufacturers would do that instead of nice straight grain stuff.
How many "designs" did you try? Just curious.
Keep up the good work.

Cycle time may be slow but you're getting what, 4 splits each cycle? Not exactly slow in terms of production.

I think a lot of people buying wood want it kindling size about 2x4 size splits

while people serious about heating with wood want the biggest piece they can grab one handed so about like a 4x6 maybe 4x8

problem is it has been such a mild winter I find I am doing more start up fires than long burns so I am using up my smaller spit stuff faster than my larger splits

110% agreeance.

Cycle time may be slow but you're getting what, 4 splits each cycle? Not exactly slow in terms of production.

110% agreeance.

It depends on the size of the log, of course, but on logs larger than 20" I'll get 6 splits coming out with each stroke. Logs 15"-20" get 4 splits, 10"-15" get 3, and then 2 splits under 10" diameters. Every 5" of log width is a split. I used to stack as I split...the way it is now I can't keep up, even with it being this slow. lol

I like it but as stated, cycle time is a bit slow for me. I do appreciate you tossing a big old round of Oak up there though instead of a nice easy piece of Ash. I wish the manufacturers would do that instead of nice straight grain stuff.
How many "designs" did you try? Just curious.
Keep up the good work.

It worked the first time, but not as good as I'd have liked. The splits were getting wedged between the outer most verticals because there wasn't enough clearance angle. Side grinder, reposition, and reweld took care of that. lol

Is the engine wide open? Sounds like it's at idle.

Great observation, Valley! You're right, t's not far above idle. I don't like running 'em wide-open. I guess that would be another way of helping the speed out. lol It put that pump in low gear a good bit but it never bogged the little engine down.

Back