Homemade Combo mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've really got to give thanks for the link to the wombat mill. That is more along the lines of what I've been wanting to do as I'm less interested in getting boards than I am posts/beams or something more suitable for resawing later for a project. I like the monolithic slab, but want a mill to do more.

Great work i am curious to see how it works out for you. I too want to mill out some beams. I am trying to decide between a alaskan small mill or a full size 36''er. i will be buying mine instead of building it.

i have two NOS sets of 36" rails for the granberb alaskan. i unloaded my 32" setup with the saw i got it for. basically sitting on them until a need shows itself. looking into that wombat setup. pretty cool.

Well it works, I managed to make two 11' long 6X6 post from beetle kill pines off my property. The 032 did an Ok job, but it got hot and cranky. Hot enough that when you opened the gas cap to refill it the fuel was boiling.

So now phase 2 of the project, I have picked up a Stihl 066 and a Husk 395, have a friend giving them a once over right now. I need a bar and chain I can use for the mill. My 032 has a 20" bar a cross cut chain on it. But if I have to buy a bar and chain just for milling I will get the right stuff. I only need 20-24" and will only be cutting beetle kill pine.

What do you suggest I get? Part #'s and link would be great.

Thanks

I only need 20-24" and will only be cutting beetle kill pine.

What do you suggest I get? Part #'s and link would be great.

Thanks
24" bar is a common size. I go with whatever brand is on sale as long as it is not Chinese.

I prefer 0.050" gage bars so that I have the option of converting to lo-pro, otherwise gage makes no difference.

On this side of the border, Bailey's woodland pro ripping chain is very popular, but any non-safety chain will work if reground to 5 - 10 degrees top plate angle and a 6 1/2 degree raker angle. Ripping chain cuts smoother, not faster.

066 and 395 have different bar mounts. But I think your 032 bar would fit the 066 ?

I don't know what's wrong with you people, don't you know how to make a simple machine complicated and spend hours and hours and hours cutting and shaping bits of metal, welding, cutting some more, grinding away the weld and starting again, and pissing off the neighbors with angle grinders and cussin' and swearin' :cry: when things go wrong?

at 1 in the morning!

As for the weight of the 8X8's since this is all dry pine the weight should not be too bad. I have loaded lots of the same logs (for fire wood) and one man can handle a 9' long 12" dia log, so I hope I can bribe some buddies with beer and get there help moving the finished beams.
Since your only speculating, please come back when you and your buddies start moving around some 20' lengths of pine to mill, and let us know how easy it is. I'm curious myself as I use a forklift to move logs around.

You mention 20" diameter...get a lot of buddies, cause if you think it will be easy to turn them to cut the 8x8 cants, well, you might have some lessons in life coming your way.

Since your only speculating, please come back when you and your buddies start moving around some 20' lengths of pine to mill, and let us know how easy it is. I'm curious myself as I use a forklift to move logs around.

You mention 20" diameter...get a lot of buddies, cause if you think it will be easy to turn them to cut the 8x8 cants, well, you might have some lessons in life coming your way.

Ditto, wet anything into large cants or beams is gonna be heavy.

jerry-

Trees are tinder dry beetle kill pine, they are very light.
I can easily lift one of the 11' long 6"x6" post I made, so 4 guys could easily lift and move a 20' 8"x8".

Back