• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Homemade guide for drill bits on grinder

memory

memory

ArboristSite Guru
I sharpen my own drill bits by just using a bench grinder and free hand. Now I tend to think I can do a decent job but by no means perfect. I am always looking for easier ways to do things. I have tried the drill doctor, don't recall which model but didn't care for it, didn't seem to do a good job. For those that use a bench grinder to sharpen bits, have you made any type of guide to keep the angles and to keep the tip perfectly centered. Is it possible or lets say feasible with a bench grinder? I guess anything is possible. We have hundreds of drill bits in various sizes. Is there people or companies that a sharpening service? Not really looking to have every bit sharpened but just more curious on this part. One thing I probably should do is get a new grinding wheel. Current wheel is a little worn.

Also many of the bits have different angles. When sharpening, would it be better to try and match the angle it currently has or make them all the same?

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Clandestine Saw Operations
Here at work we use a bench grinder and a drill point gauge for most of the sharpening, no fixtures just by hand. We have a fancy Darex sharpener but nobody uses it because it’s a PITA to set up. Carbide drills and end mills etc we send out to get re-ground but I don’t know the company that does it for us.
With practice and a drill point gauge you should be able to get good results. As far as angles It depends on what your drilling. I go a little wider when drilling harder materials like stainless and a little steeper when drilling plastics. But for standard stuff like mild steel I stick to the 118 degree angle on the gauge.

forgot to add that I am a machinist with over 10 years experience on both CNC and Manual lathes and mills.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Clandestine Saw Operations
bullseye13

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Check out youtube and get a good wheel on your grinder. I have done all mine freehand on a grinder. Bought a jig and hated it. With patience you will find what works and what dosent. I get by...they cut good for a while then need it again
My grandfather was a master as all his bits were free hand sharpened and looked and drilled incredible but I never got lessons.

daddy

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Don't know what they cost, but at work we use a Black Diamond brand drill sharpener. Very stout, and has a diamond to dress the wheel.Perfect bits in seconds if they are good, a minute if they need alot of work. At home I sharpen by hand, and laser eyeball, and do ok... most of my hand sharpened ones bite a little too hard..

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
The very first thing we were taught in trade school was how to sharpen a drill on a bench grinder. Even a belt sander mounted on a bench works.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Don't know what they cost, but at work we use a Black Diamond brand drill sharpener. Very stout, and has a diamond to dress the wheel.Perfect bits in seconds if they are good, a minute if they need alot of work. At home I sharpen by hand, and laser eyeball, and do ok... most of my hand sharpened ones bite a little too hard..
A few grand probably.

Have seen sharpeners from $15 to $15,000.

The Drill Dr does ok for me. I use it to get the angles in line then fine tune on a grinder.
Have a slow rpm put water on the wheel grinder, but often just use reg bench grinder, angle grinder, side of chop saw blade, whatever is handy.

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've used my saw chain grinder to sharpen drill bits by hand. Used the side of the wheel (flat surface) & it worked extremely well. But a steady hand is needed and it took me a bit of practice to get good semi decent results. I think jigs can be great but it's like a saw chain file guide or grinder, ultimately it come down to the guy driving it that determines the result. Jigs just aid what your doing. Like when using a saw I like a starting a job with a fresh ground chain, drilling is no different. When you grab a drill you want it sharp & ready to go.