homeowner chainsaw decisions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin711

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post! I didnt see any threads for new members but I decided to join since I started doing my research and I always ended up back here.

I have a poulan 260 pro that was my granfathers from 2002 that just wont start anymore so I am looking for a replacement.

Once a year I cut a few trees for firewood at a remote cabin. Other than that its storm damage or when a dead tree falls around my property or neighborhood.

I know there are a lot of options and opinions which makes it hard to choose. I am steering away from another poulan because of the experience I've had with the pro 260 and how hard it was to start every time I wanted to use it.

Now that the background is out of the way, I was seriously considering the echo cs400, stihl ms250, and husky 440. I dont mind spending a little extra to get a saw that with proper care will last a long time.

Here are my concerns for those that have experience with these saws or have been in my situation.
Echo cs400: I dont want to do a muffler mod because I want to keep the 5 year warranty intact. However I would want to pull the limiter caps, tune the carb and then put the caps back on. I have heard they are so lean from the factory because of emissions that they bog down when cutting. Would I not have to deal with this if I go with stihl or husky? Or is this pretty overblown and they run just fine with no carb adjust?

Stihl ms250: on sale for $300 which I think is a good deal and I have other stihl products I love. Never owned a stihl chainsaw so no experience with these. Just unsure if its worth the extra money for what I will be doing with it vs the echo or husky.

Husky 440: also zero experience with this brand but I have read the AV on it is better than the stihl or the echo.

Going to purchase a new saw by march so doing my research now.

To make things more complicated a few friends have suggested I buy another poulan and take care of it which would be fine for what I need. Not sure if the newer poulan are better quality.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Kevin

are you dead set on a new saw? good solid used pro saws come up for sale often, plenty of input available on here if thats the route you choose. id skip the husky 440. ms250s have cut a heck of a lot of wood and ive seen em take serious abuse and neglect and keep running. the cs400 is a pretty darn good saw, and if give. the choice between the three thats what id choose, but the cat muffler is a big downer.

I'm not dead set on a new saw, but I want to limit this thread to discussions regarding new to keep things focused.

Is the ms250 rev limited like the echo?
I assume no cat in the stihl muffler and they get past this with more advanced engine tech?

The ms250's are very good saws, and I'm always surprised on how strong they run. I'm biased because I am a Stihl guy...
One thing to consider, no matter which saw you get. Try and stay with the engineered fuel... The reason is that you are not running it often enough to keep it fresh. So, in that regard run the canned stuff, which has a long shelf lift and won't mess up the fuel system. probably be best if you can run the thing empty, then store.

I wouldn’t touch a newer poulan with a 10ft pole unless it was all you could afford. Just my $0.02 added in here. I’m a “Stihl guy” is that says where I’d lean personally :). Poulan isn’t what it used to be since his war a ran it into the dirt. Once again just opinions I hold. The MS250 has a good reputation though. I know our local VFD bought several and like them.

First post! I didnt see any threads for new members but I decided to join since I started doing my research and I always ended up back here.

I have a poulan 260 pro that was my granfathers from 2002 that just wont start anymore so I am looking for a replacement.

Once a year I cut a few trees for firewood at a remote cabin. Other than that its storm damage or when a dead tree falls around my property or neighborhood.

I know there are a lot of options and opinions which makes it hard to choose. I am steering away from another poulan because of the experience I've had with the pro 260 and how hard it was to start every time I wanted to use it.

Now that the background is out of the way, I was seriously considering the echo cs400, stihl ms250, and husky 440. I dont mind spending a little extra to get a saw that with proper care will last a long time.

Here are my concerns for those that have experience with these saws are have been in my situation.
Echo cs400: I dont want to do a muffler mod because I want to keep the 5 year warranty intact. However I would want to pull the limiter caps, tune the carb and then put the caps back on. I have heard they are so lean from the factory because of emissions that they bog down when cutting. Would I not have to deal with this if I go with stihl or husky? Or is this pretty overblown and they run just fine with no carb adjust?

Stihl ms250: on sale for $300 which I think is a good deal and I have other stihl products I love. Never owned a stihl chainsaw so no experience with these. Just unsure if its worth the extra money for what I will be doing with it vs the echo or husky.

Husky 440: also zero experience with this brand but I have read the AV on it is better than the stihl or the echo.

To make things more complicated a few friends have suggested I buy another poulan and take care of it which would be fine for what I need. Not sure if the newer poulan are better quality.

Thanks,
-Kevin
I have both the ms250 and cs400, as far as far as small Husqvarna rear handles i don't generally feel comfortable with the geometry of bar angle in reationship with the power head, primarily bucking firewood on the ground, puts a twist on my old back, usually minutes of cutting firewood to length my back aches with them little things. The cs400 has near the same angle and effect but feels better with an 18" bar to me. Every thing else with my experience with the cs400 has been lovely and i like it for cutting branches and small trees piling them up to burn or whatever . Very smooth starter and starts on a dime hot or cold. Some may say differant but in comparison with using 2 cs400's, ms250's-025's win fairly easy power wise,and geometricly fit me to a t bucking firewood on the ground, my back can go for hours . Cs 400 might have a better av but ms250 vibration doesn't bother me, so at least it is good enough,if not better.
If i had to limit myself to 1 of those 3, hands down it would be the ms250, well worth the extra $ . Plenty of nice used ones for sale also. An 025 is close to identical, original version and generally run better with no modification.

Welcome to AS Kevin . The 250 will last you a long time with your occasional cutting. That said visit some dealers of all the brands you have mentioned. Get a feel from them if they will be able to service you saw if need be. Don't be afraid to ask them for references from past customers. FWIW I cut hundreds of loads of wood with my ms 250. It's Stihl running. Good luck.

If the old Poulan 260 has a good spark it probably just needs a carb rebuild and / or fuel lines and filter. It was probably hard to start for the same reason. You could try fixing it before you buy a new saw.

FWIW.... any saw, regardless of what you pay for it, will not run right with a dirty or out of adjustment carb, or an old fouled spark plug.

+1 on the Echo. In my opinion it’s not only the best value of the three but also the best saw. I don’t know if it’s the fastest or slowest saw of the three but it’s got plenty of pep and great reliability. Echo also offers parts well past their legal requirements and they don’t hide their parts diagrams from their customers like Stihl does.

I know very little about the Husky homeowner saws. Husky builds the Poulan Pro and Jonsered saws. I’ve had some of them come into my shop with very few hours on them and needing work. Let’s just say I’m not impressed with them.

The Echo will run great without mods but just like most other saws you can gain a bit more power with a tune and muffler mod but it will also make it louder. Whatever saw you buy just run it stock for a while. You can always tweak it later if you decide that saving a few seconds per cut is important to you.

I like my cs400. Had it about 6 or 7 years and has never let me down. I did tune the carb after I got it cause it was set lean. This year I finally did the muffler mod and now it's a totally different saw. Much more power, still starts on a dime hot or cold. When hot, takes only a short pull of the starter and she's running. Don't no much about the over priced dealer only parts Stihl and I don't care much for the home owners Husky lines.

Steve Sidwell

I recently tried buying used for a couple of months. Maybe I am in the wrong area of the country but everything that was decent was a 12 hour round trip or by the time I paid shipping I was paying within $50-$75 of buying new. I ended up buying new. I have owned Echo and Echo makes awful nice stuff. I am a Stihl person because of Stihl's support and quality product. We live rural and just about everything we need is about an hour away except Stihl dealers. There are four dealers within 20 minutes of us.

I'll pay a little more for the availability of parts and service.

Here are my concerns for those that have experience with these saws or have been in my situation.

Thanks,
-Kevin

The Husqvarna 445 is nice and compact, feels good, handles good, looks good, starts easy always, never had a problem with it.
I love it, but the chainsaw bug is constantly chasing my brain cell up and down the stairs to get a saw with a magnesium case :crazy2: Pretty stupid aint it... :rolleyes:

For what its worth every time I have a ms250/025 here I'm always impressed with how much grunt they have.

I had an old 025 for 10 years. I cut a lot wood with that saw. Its apart in a box right now. I like it so much I may rebuild it one day.

I like all 3 but if you choose the 440 I'd go with 16" bar not 18......I'm actually surprised how light the 440 is.

I like my cs400. Had it about 6 or 7 years and has never let me down. I did tune the carb after I got it cause it was set lean. This year I finally did the muffler mod and now it's a totally different saw. Much more power, still starts on a dime hot or cold. When hot, takes only a short pull of the starter and she's running. Don't no much about the over priced dealer only parts Stihl and I don't care much for the home owners Husky lines.

Steve Sidwell

Same here. I bought my CS-400 in 2014 and at the time adjusted the screws so it didn't run lean but kept the limiters so I would run afoul of warranty issues. Never needed the warranty. This year I took the limiter caps off and also did the muffler mod. Like Steve said, it's like a different saw now. It was good before, now it's really good! Marginally louder, starts even easier, feels stronger in the cut, and totally eliminated the slight lean bog it once had.

If the old Poulan 260 has a good spark it probably just needs a carb rebuild and / or fuel lines and filter. It was probably hard to start for the same reason. You could try fixing it before you buy a new saw.

FWIW.... any saw, regardless of what you pay for it, will not run right with a dirty or out of adjustment carb, or an old fouled spark plug.
Ditto on the carb, but NEVER pass up the opportunity to buy another saw. :D I always take two saws when cutting to have a back up.

Ditto on the carb, but NEVER pass up the opportunity to buy another saw. :D I always take two saws when cutting to have a back up.

I have been trying to get the 260 running but having problems. I'm going to start a new thread on this forum to see if anyone can help figure out what I'm doing wrong. I need to take pics but hope to start that discussion soon!

I have been trying to get the 260 running but having problems. I'm going to start a new thread on this forum to see if anyone can help figure out what I'm doing wrong. I need to take pics but hope to start that discussion soon!
I'm sure you'll get the help you need. Basics first - does it have compression? When did it run last? Was old fuel left in it? Will it start if you prime with a little mix (not starting fluid). If it starts, as already said, chances are the pump diaphragm in the carb is hardened from age and alcohol.

Latest posts

Back