Honda 5.5 wont spark cold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizzaro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Googled this and my first suspicion came to the top. Oil sensor is stuck. This is on a Timberwolfe wood splitter. I disconnected the wire to the oil switch sensor, and still no spark. Does this bypass the oil switch? I am guessing not, as it still won't spark, assuming it is the oil switch. Any suggestions appreciated. I did a search here at and got nothing. If the splitter is in the sun, above 60 degrees or so, it will start within five pulls usually. How can I bypass the oil switch, or am Is my diagnosis incorrect? Warm, it runs like a top. And yes I have confirmed there is no spark when it will not start. No spark at all.

One wire going from the engine. Why would the ignition coil be affected by temperature?

@Bizzaro I am not sure how the coil can be but I have seen it on the push mowers, unplugging the oil switch does bypass it then, when low the switch closing grounding the coil out so by unplugging you eliminate that possibility. I fought one on push mower doing just the same thing, bring it it from outside no fire, leave in the shop overnight it would run, take it out overnight, no fire. coils are cheap, set the air gap to the thickness of a business and go, I bet it will fix the issue.

I would disconnect the kill wire . Most of the time a small black wire that hooks on the coil anytime this wire contacts metal it shorts out the coil . The only thing when you do this the switch will not shut off your engine . I just pull the choke

I would disconnect the kill wire . Most of the time a small black wire that hooks on the coil anytime this wire contacts metal it shorts out the coil . The only thing when you do this the switch will not shut off your engine . I just pull the choke
Good to know, thanks. I am pretty sure there is a short of some kind. And not a component failure. I love a mystery, but man, I gots to split some wood!

Back