Honda-Like engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was on e-bay and saw some generic honda-like engines for 1/3 the price of a honda. Anybody have any expierence or know aout these engines? I am looking to replace my 5hp briggs with an 8hp.:givebeer:

chinese knockoffs

From what I have learned by looking around, and talking to a few people I would not try one. If one showed up for *free* then I might try it just to see how bad (or good) they are.

Unless you do better thru Ebay, there is a website to keep an eye on:

www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

Not bad prices on small engines.

-Pat

Link

I saw them on e-bay. I think if I have to replace the 5hp, they have a 8hp briggs I/C for $325. :spam:

I have Some Kind Of Engine, on Some Kind Of Generator, a 6.5 HP red something, that came with a generator from PepBoys.

Sad that it was such a good deal, I use it a lot, never have to depened on it, but at about 80 hours so far,,,,,, I would bet your next beer that it will start on the first pull.

When it was still new (and under it's 45 days) I pluged everything I could into it and a bag of pop-corn in a micro-wave,,,, luged the living hell out of it, lights grew dim the engine slowed way down but the pop-corn poped!

The engine looks like the honda line OHV engine, starts and runs the same.

Proud of it? thats a question, still a standing bet that it will start first pull, beer with pop-corn?

Kevin

Do you really think a Chinese knock-off is going to be as good as a Honda? It might be okay in the short term, but there's no way you are going to get the same life out of it.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Do you really think a Chinese knock-off is going to be as good as a Honda? It might be okay in the short term, but there's no way you are going to get the same life out of it.

Mark

It wouldent need to, the pay off would be if mearly got a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the service.

When I bought it, my battery bank wasen't making it a full day running my inverters in my service truck, it was just the ticket!

When I droped the oil for it's first service, it was very clean, ran a magnet around in the bottem of the crank case and it came up nill, it seems ok.

Kevin

Millman said:
I was on e-bay and saw some generic honda-like engines for 1/3 the price of a honda. Anybody have any expierence or know aout these engines? I am looking to replace my 5hp briggs with an 8hp.:givebeer:

My neighbor bought a 13 HP Honda knockoff and the motor ran fine......until several nuts and bolts started working loose from the vibration. Mind you this was only after 10 minutes of operation. One of the bolts was the muffler manifold which we noticed right away when the thing got real loud. He had the motor on a home grown band saw mill for cutting timber. Can't comment on the longevity or overall performance difference from the real thing. It did look half decent though and I would say that if you are mechanically inclined, and the motor is going to get only moderate use, what the heck give one a shot. The price sure is right! Oh... and keep a good supply of loctite handy.

Tom

Back