Honda splitter motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret4207

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a splitter with a 5.5 hp Honda engine. Starts great in the summer. Lately it's been -10 to +15F and it won't start unless I warm the engine with a reddy heater or torch. I realize I have Hondas bottom of the line engine, but are there any ideas floating around out there? Ether doesn't help and the plug throws a good blue spark. I've added dry gas, fresh fuel, checked the filter. I think the cold hydraulic fluid is too much drag to let it start. Ideas?

You need synthetic oil in those temps to make starting and running easier until it warms up. I run synthetic engine and hydraulic oil and my old 12hp kohler starts right up even at 5degrees F. Cold temps are tough on small pullstart engines. The cold adds just enough drag to slow down the mass making starting hard. Try some synthetic you'll be very suprised how much easier it starts in fridgid weather. :rock:

Pull the bolt out of the bottom of the carb and drain it. It might have water in it, as well as some gunk, that is freezing up and not letting it get fuel. Synthetic engine oil won't hurt, but I don't think its youre culprit. Run a 10w-30 in the winter months for sure! Using ATF for the hyd. fluid will also help, but start by draining the carb bowl!

If you have electric available, try using one of those magnetic block heaters that NAPA or TSC sells. Plug it in the night before or put it on a timer with a tarp or blanky over the splitter. Just warming everything up 30 degrees will help.

I noticed that my local farm supply store sells "low-temperature" hydraulic fluid. You might try this in lieu of tranny fluid. Although it's tough to argue. Most snow plows run on tranny fluid for their hydraulics. At least my does.

I agree with the ATF, my splitter came with it new. How long are you running it on the choke as well, start on full choke and when it starts put to half choke for a couple minutes.

Thanks guys. Drained the fuel bowl already, it sits where there's no electric, I may try the synthetic stuff. I'm thinking of just getting a hunk of flex ible exhaust pipe or dryer vent hose and letting the truck or tractor exhaust run on it for 15 minutes or so before I try starting it. Thanks again!

Got a splitter with a 5.5 hp Honda engine. Starts great in the summer. Lately it's been -10 to +15F and it won't start unless I warm the engine with a reddy heater or torch. I realize I have Hondas bottom of the line engine, but are there any ideas floating around out there? Ether doesn't help and the plug throws a good blue spark. I've added dry gas, fresh fuel, checked the filter. I think the cold hydraulic fluid is too much drag to let it start. Ideas?

could it be that maybe the hydraulic fluid is too thick giving the engine resistance? any hydraulic fluid at those temps is going to flow real slow.

what this place did was installed a clutch between the engine and the hyd. pump...for that reason, obviously:

http://www.swisherinc.com/LS5527.html

I notice cold hydraulic fluid slows the starter down. I make sure the control valve is in neutral because if it is detented in full return or full extension the engine is pretty well locked up by hydraulic back pressure on the pump.

put a pressure gage on your return line and notice the difference between when the oil is cold versus when hot.

and, if you have a pull start, that's alot of resistance against that little engine.

Back