Honelite 500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmontana

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A while back my father in law gave an old red chainsaw which I have determined to be a Homelite Model 500.

I need to find a source for parts; specifically the starter cup. The saw looks like it's in good order and as far as I know it runs well (according to my father in law).

I'm also interested in determining how long of a bar can be used on this chainsaw. I recently purchased an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill for my Poulan 2250 but need a beefier powerhead for some of the larger logs.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Weren't these kinda like the "Zip", only they had a square-ish tank and a rear handle made of tubing? If it's what I'm thinking, they had an aftermarket starter, not Homelite's own with the sprague clutch (ball catch)

Truth be told, this saw won't do much for you as a milling power unit, only has about 4 hp; the engine itself is the same inside as the older model 17 and 4-20, only revs to about 6000 rpm on a good day. The cylinder is chrome plated, and likely to start flaking if it hasn't already, the reeds are probably fatigued and ready to fly away.
Plus the old points-style ign may be troublesome. I'd look for something better than that as a milling saw.

There are a couple of avid collectors of Homelites on this site that have posted old dealer's names; use the site search function and look around; I think one place was Hawkins or maybe Halkins in Missouri. Maybe somebody else will post too.

I dont think the 500 is similar to a Zip, but I could be wrong. I think the 500 is a late 70's early 80's saw around 5 cubic inches.

If so it could do some small milling and should be able to handle a 30" bar.

If it looks like this saw put it on a shelf and fogedaboutit

Huskyman,
Thanks for the information.
I'm not looking to do any serious milling, it's more like an infrequent hobby and most of the logs will be much less than 20 inches in diameter.
Any idea how I can go about selecting the correct bar, chain, and sprocket for this saw? I don't see many parts advertised for a model 500 anymore.
Could it be as easy as selecting a sprocket that will fit on the crank and then selecting the bar and chain that fit with the sprocket?

It probably takes the same bar as a Homelite 650 or 750. It should not be difficult to find a bar, just check with Oregon.

Same bar as Homelite "C" series,BUZ,900D,909D,995D,
Super 1050,WIZ,WIZ 66,XP1000,XP1020,XP2000,XP2100 and ZIP
It is an F014 Oregon mount
This was from a 1975 Oregon catalog. They had offered 17",21" and 25" bars.

I actually have one of these saws. Homelite Model 500, cheapie saw introduced in 1960.

Mine isn't really a runner. Need some parts? It's mostly complete. I have a couple bars and rusty chains for it. I think .404 was stock. The one I have uses standard Oregon sprockets.

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
I dont think the 500 is similar to a Zip, but I could be wrong. I think the 500 is a late 70's early 80's saw around 5 cubic inches.

If so it could do some small milling and should be able to handle a 30" bar.

If it looks like this saw put it on a shelf and fogedaboutit

Huskyman you are confusing it with a 550. A huge difference.

Try this link. http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8f8ce52759eb3a9c88256b06000d3b88?OpenDocument

I hope it will work. Most information has already been listed but it should clear some things up. Not a milling saw. Clean it up and use it as as enjoyment.

Bill

Huskyman,

I have two Homelite 550's. One has been well used and one is brand new. The new one has never cut wood. I have no idea why I have it but I thought it would be neat to have.

Bill

Back