Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think my WiFi thermostat may have suffered from a nearby lightning strike or some other malady as it would not stay connected to WiFi over the past several weeks. Which wasn’t a big deal because we don’t adjust via WiFi that often so just controlled it locally.

Last week was the first time we needed heat. It worked to turn of the heat but wouldn’t stop the heat call even with the system turned off. Once I pulled it from the wall the heat call ceased immediately.

I put in a manual thermostat as I don’t need the headache of this failing when I’m not around.

Just wondering if it’s worth going back to Honeywell on a 3 year old unit that now costs 79 bucks?

5F50B5B2-897E-49A5-B118-DB89DD79BA04.jpeg

No answers to your questions but I do have a question in return... what’s the benefit to a WiFi unit other than being wireless ?
Two reasons. I rent my home over the summer months and people tend to get a little goofy with the thermostat. It allows me to monitor what’s going on there. Secondly when we travel I like to turn things down for the duration then warm it up right before we get home.

Mine is actually wired into the thermostat. Just can be controlled wirelessly.

Ok, so you have full control and monitoring over a smartphone.
Yes so when guests repeatedly try to turn on the AC (which isn’t controlled by this circuit, and I put a label on it in the summer reminding them of that) I can again remind them how to control the air.

Or the best one: you get a cool night and people turn the heat to 80! The house doesn’t get warm any faster if you crank it way up lol. Then by noon they are trying to (improperly) turn the the air on again! :dumb:

I also can set high/low temp alarms to email me immediately if the house drops below or goes above a certain temp. It’s funny cause you get some people who don’t like AC and you get high temp alarms all week. I checked on one guy when it was 84 inside temp and he’s like “oh no, this is perfect!”

This stuff is frustrating but comes with the territory. The pay is good though.

I would get one that has the ability to lock out manual control, or require a password. Who needs the hassle?

I have them. 3 heat zones, 1 cooling zone. It is nice to be able to set a hold for an extended period of time while not home, then adjust it from the road so the house is comfortable by the time we get home.

I would get another WiFi one if it failed.
...just my $2.50 (2 cents adjusted for taxes and inflation)

Back