Hoping for some help with my young Honeylocust tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdkdpt

Reaction score
I planted this tree 2 years ago in my front yard and apparently at that time, I planted it too low leaving the root flare below soil level. I first began noticing something was wrong when about 3 of the main branches did not leaf out and were dead a few weeks ago. For a young tree, that's about 1/3 of my canopy!
I chatted with some and it seems my 2 options are
1.) dig out the tree and raise it to expose the root flare.
2.) regrade the yard around the tree and bring the soil level down to expose the root flare.

Does anyone have any recommendations otherwise on what I should do to save this tree?
It otherwise seems healthy and is leafing out well. The trunk does have some concerning spots as shown in the pics.

Thank you
IMG_2262.jpgIMG_2263.jpgIMG_2264.jpgIMG_2282.jpg

From the pictures it doesn't appear to have one third crown loss.
Don't see any concern on trunk spots.
You have not dug deep enough to expose the flare.
Installing a dry well around the stump is the best option. I would use pavers once you are at the proper grade.

From the pictures it doesn't appear to have one third crown loss.
Don't see any concern on trunk spots.
You have not dug deep enough to expose the flare.
Installing a dry well around the stump is the best option. I would use pavers once you are at the proper grade.
Thanks for the response! I have included a picture showing a little more dirt that was taken away. I stopped once I started to get near the actual roots of the tree.
I forgot to include the picture of the bark and the canopy of the tree picture was taken prior to removing the dead branches off to the left.

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back